Iodine supplementing???

buddah001

I bought the Iodine testing kit and I am not getting a reading. I even checked it to their sample and it came out fine.It is a Seachem brand. Is it really important to supplement Iodine?
Here are my levels:
SG-1.025
PH-8.0
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-20
ALK-9.8dKh
Calcium-405
Mg-1260
I have some Iodine (Kent) here and mg is low I have been increasing daily. It was at 1200 two days ago. Or should I just get the Mg level up first and then start to increase Iodine? I bought the starter kit wich also has a bottle of Strontium& Molybdenum. I don't have a test kit for either of them.

from what I have read, It's very difficult to get a true reading on Iodine. Most people here say you really don't need to supplement it.

As long as you do water changes on a regular basis then your salt mix should give you all the iodine your system needs.

The Seachem test doesn't register iodate, so it may read very low although there is a normal amount of I in your system as iodate.

The Sailfert get does test for it, so might be a better option.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11690497#post11690497 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrBegalke

The Sailfert get does test for it, so might be a better option.

I wouldn't bet on it. My Sailfert Iodine kit's doesn't.

Save your money and just do regular water changes, and don't worry about it.

With Salifert kit you can run two different tests so I agree with the DR. I also stopped dosing iodine awhile back. To easy to overdo, and to many "other" things to follow along with dosing it. When I did test and dose, did not really see any better reactions in the tank. So after reading RHF's articles on it I also stopped. Also be careful if you also dose Trace Element supplements as many of these have iodine. Water changes, Trace supplement and iodine-lugols is asking for an inbalance.

Thanks for all of your help.forget about the iodine. I use Oceanic Natural Sea Salt. That should have more thab enough trace elements in it right?

Back