iron chelation

Timmste

I would like to experiment with chelation so I can dose iron as a trace element. However I am also interested in binding phosphate with Fe. I am thinking about using muriatic acid for that purpose with my topoff water to keep the Fe suspended.. what if I would also add a portion of iron chelated with sodium citrate? Will any excess citrate immediately bind with the suspended iron?

I wonder how much trisodium citrate I need to bind x gr of Fe (II) sulphate.. unfortunately I cannot get mono- nor disodium citrate.

If the above will not work (dosing iron both as a trace element and for po4 removal) than I am looking into carbon sources which are compatible with iron citrate or even enhance the chelation. E.g. ascorbic acid.. I wonder to what extend glyserol/vinegar/sugar/vodka are compatible with iron chelate..

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

I would like to experiment with chelation so I can dose iron as a trace element. However I am also interested in binding phosphate with Fe. I am thinking about using muriatic acid for that purpose with my topoff water to keep the Fe suspended.. what if I would also add a portion of iron chelated with sodium citrate? Will any excess citrate immediately bind with the suspended iron?

I wonder how much trisodium citrate I need to bind x gr of Fe (II) sulphate.. unfortunately I cannot get mono- nor disodium citrate.

If the above will not work (dosing iron both as a trace element and for po4 removal) than I am looking into carbon sources which are compatible with iron citrate or even enhance the chelation. E.g. ascorbic acid.. I wonder to what extend glyserol/vinegar/sugar/vodka are compatible with iron chelate..

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

I forgot to mention sodiumcitrate as a potential carbon source.

This article has a DIY formula:

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/8/chemistry

It's mentioned only briefly. A search for "citrate" should find the paragraph. Here's a quote:

I selected a dose of about 0.1 to 0.3 mL of a solution containing 5 g of iron (as 25 g of ferrous sulfate heptahydrate) in 250 mL of water containing 50.7 g of sodium citrate dihydrate. This liquid is dosed 2-3 times per week to my system with a total water volume of about 250 gallons. This iron(II) citrate has turned brown and cloudy since I first made up the bottle years ago, suggesting that it is oxidizing to iron(III) and some is precipitating from solution, but I still use it. Over the past 4 years, I've dosed nearly all of the 5 grams of actual iron to my tank.
You also can use Fergon tablets.

Last edited:
This article has a DIY formula:

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/8/chemistry

It's mentioned only briefly. A search for "citrate" should find the paragraph. Here's a quote:

You also can use Fergon tablets.
I noticed that recipe, I have no access to disodium citrate and wondered how much trisodium citrate is required. I looked for Fe-gluconate powder, however this is very expensive unfortunately. Any suggestions regarding the carbonsources to use?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see. I'll look into the trisodium to see whether my chemistry is up to the task. I didn't think it'd make much difference. A little extra sodium or citrate shouldn't matter.

I see. I'll look into the trisodium to see whether my chemistry is up to the task. I didn't think it'd make much difference. A little extra sodium or citrate shouldn't matter.
That would be great! Thank you for the effort!

From what I can tell, the trisodium should be fine, and is what Randy was using. I'd try the same amount, and see how that works.

Back