Is 80 degrees to warm for a reef tank?

fltekdiver

I started up a Redsea Reefer 250 4 months ago, and was at the LFS today, when I mentioned my house temp is usually set at 78 degrees while were at work, then 77 after 5pm at night

My Tank is running 79.9 according to the Apex with my Kessil's on

The LFS suggested I run a chiller, and keep temps between 77 & 78

I have mostly LPS, and 3 Bubble Tips etc

What do you think?

I really don't have the room for a Chiller, It would have to go outside the tank about 2' away so I can open the doors to the cabinet

Think maybe a small fan blowing across the sump?

Attachments

• 2016-06-01 17.31.47.jpg
    2016-06-01 17.31.47.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2016-06-09 21.31.31.jpg
    2016-06-09 21.31.31.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0
Nothing wrong with 80 degree water.

77-78 degree house on the other hand... i'd be melting. lol ;)

Ok thanks ! Yes, We live in FL, so our AC doesn't stop running in the summer months :)

I all ready can't wait for Oct, LOL

Lfs just trying to sell you a chiller, 80 is fine. My tank room gets to about 83, I keep my tanks at 80.6 with fans. Do some research you will fine articles about keeping tanks warmer having positive benefits, some as high as 82. Average ocean temp is warmer than most keep their tanks.

I would have a plan considering if your AC malfunctions. Similar situation here in MO. We lost our AC on a very hot day and my tank hit 90, which was only about 10 degrees higher than usual. LOST some great LPS. Fans have been noted as a way to combat and cool, etc.

Ok thanks ! Yes, We live in FL, so our AC doesn't stop running in the summer months :)

I all ready can't wait for Oct, LOL

I hear ya... i'm in Houston, just the other side of the gulf and I thought it would be a good idea to go for a run today... at noon. :crazy1:

I let my house get up to around 74 during the day when I'm not there but at night I can't sleep unless it's 68. :p

It all depends on where you have your temp sensor. It you have it in sump and your door are close then you might be getting a some what false reading. (Like me). Lol. I run two temp sensor one in sump and one in dt. 82 in sump and 78 in dt.

I would have a plan considering if your AC malfunctions. Similar situation here in MO. We lost our AC on a very hot day and my tank hit 90, which was only about 10 degrees higher than usual. LOST some great LPS. Fans have been noted as a way to combat and cool, etc.

+1 I lost a beautiful SPS tank while at the lake of the Ozarks many years ago due to my A/C conking out in july. These days I run a controller, fans on/off, kills the lights if above 83, sends me a notification.

I keep my house at 68 year round, 78???? I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Run my current tank at 82. Had a nano run 86-88 (not by choice, just couldn't help it) and most corals were fine, clownfish was fine too.

Ok thanks for the help. I do have my temp sensor for the Apex in the sump, I'll moved it to the DT, an same temp readings. I'm @ 79.9 in the DT

I moved it back into the sump, because that's where I have my prop holder to temp, PH, etc

Last edited:
It's not the high temp that's the problem, the Red Sea is very warm.
It's a rapid swing up to a high over 85* from say 78* that's a problem.

Mine's 81*-83* in the summer time.

Stability is the key.

+1 I lost a beautiful SPS tank while at the lake of the Ozarks many years ago due to my A/C conking out in july. These days I run a controller, fans on/off, kills the lights if above 83, sends me a notification.

I keep my house at 68 year round, 78???? I wouldn't be able to sleep.

So much this.

When the wife turns the thermostat to 70, I start sweating and cursing.

Back