Is a spined-cheek anemone fish the same as a maroon clown?

courtneyclv

I got a 'maroon clown' from a reputable LFS. I have had him for over a month and he is dark orange, not maroon at all. White stripes, not outlined with black.

I have this calendar that had a "spined cheek anemone fish" and it looks almost like my fishie. The fishes white stripes are thinner than my fish. The fish is brighter orange than my fish.

How soon should my maroon turn darker if he is a true maroon?
If he never turns dark..can I exchange him for a real maroon fish?

:)
Courtney

Hey Courtney,

Your clown is a Premas biaculeatus (maroon clownfish). I believe there are 2 variations. One with red body color and white stripes and the other being a maroon color with yellow stripes. So, its just a color variation. Your clown will get darker as he/she matures.

Maroon clownfish have a spike on his gill just as one of the common anme suggested. Often younger fish is redish. Older, larger fish is more maroon. IME, Yellow or white stripe does not change the orange or red coloration of the fish.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8062998#post8062998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Minh Nguyen
Maroon clownfish have a spike on his gill just as one of the common anme suggested. Often younger fish is redish. Older, larger fish is more maroon. IME, Yellow or white stripe does not change the orange or red coloration of the fish.

Interestingly enough, the scientific name suggests it also--biaculeatus means two'(or double)-spined.' So technically, spine cheek or two spined clownfish is the 'more correct' name, anyway.

Hmmm..that was a bit confusing.haha

So you do think that a 'spiny cheek' is the same as a maroon clownfish and that mine will darken with age?

I didnt get the wrong fish?

That's a Premnas biaculeatus ;)
maroon_clownfish.jpg

Here is the picture of a huge Maroon with spike on the cheek. smaller ones have smaller spike but at the same position. This is Glove's pictuer, not mine.
MVC-683X.jpg

The small male does not have any spikes. maybe it is much younger, im not sure, I just got this pair two days ago. Mated, with host anemone as is.
Another interesting observation...I have another maroon clown that I have had for a little over a year. This other maroon/white stripe looks like it is starting to develop one pair of spikes. The upper pair that are longer and larger of the two spikes per side.
Are the spikes age or sex related?

Back