Is an in-home RO/DI worth it?

Percher

I've never owned a RO/DI unit before but have been trying to decide on getting one for a while now.

There is a LFS about three miles from me that sells their RO/DI at $0.35 a gallon. They seem to have the lowest TDS out of any LFS in the area. They also sell RO/DI (+Tropic Marin) saltwater at $1.15 a gallon.

My tank is a 60 gallon with a 10 gallon (cramped!) sump. I do 5 gallon water changes every week and use about 2.5-3 gallons a week in top off water.

I'm trying to decide if a RO/DI unit would be a good investment. Is it better for people with bigger tanks or who regularly do larger water changes? Do you believe they are a good idea for smaller tanks?

I have a pair of nano tanks and I love having my RODI unit. It is nice to have a nearly unlimited supply of water on hand in case of emergency. I've had my ATO siphon out water from my display tank during a power outage in the middle of the night. I had my storage tank full of water and was able to quickly mix a batch of Salt Water and get my tank back in check before I lost everything. If I had to rely on my LFS to be open, I would have lost a lot of my prized LPS. It is a small investment that you will love.

So much easier, It's really nice to have it when you want it.

55G tank or bigger probably a sure bet. Other concerns are space for the unit, location for the RODI.

You are paying $0.35 * 8 Gallons per week * 52 weeks per year so = $145.6 dollars per year, makes sense to buy one and only worry about ~annual filter changing rather than weekly purchases.

the LFS uses the same equipment, to make RO/DI water, as you would buy.

the LFS, is someone's business, probably with kids and family, therefore bills to pay. so what ever price they sell you, is the COST + profit.

if you get your own, you wont pay for that profit part. so its economically "worth it".

also having Ability to make as much water as u much anytime is priceless.

There are a lot of pro/con things to consider:

RO/DI water should have a TDS of Zero. Period. Do not pay for anything else.
RO/DI unit can be used for saltwater, top-off, drinking water(RO), ice cube maker(RO).
RO/DI takes up a bit of space, especially if you have 44g + 20g reservoirs like I do. Others may just make RODI on demand.
RO/DI costs include: Unit, storage containers, TDS meter, filters, resin, water (includes tons of waste water).
RO/DI system requires a nominal amount of TDS monitoring and flushing to keep in proper order.
LFS RODI/Saltwater costs need to include the price of gas, and any other impulse purchase you make while your waiting at the LFS. ;)
Making your own saltwater with your own RO/DI should not cost you more than $0.30-$0.50 per gallon depending on your choice of salt.

Financially it is worth it, and puts you in control.

If it's larger than a Pico, your back will thank you for not having to lug those jugs from store to home.

For storage, I have mine on wall in laundry room.

Sincerely,

David

Def. a must have. Its water on demand and you can be sure that you water quality is always going to be spot on. check out Bulk Reef Supply.

I've never owned a RO/DI unit before but have been trying to decide on getting one for a while now.

There is a LFS about three miles from me that sells their RO/DI at $0.35 a gallon. They seem to have the lowest TDS out of any LFS in the area. They also sell RO/DI (+Tropic Marin) saltwater at $1.15 a gallon.

My tank is a 60 gallon with a 10 gallon (cramped!) sump. I do 5 gallon water changes every week and use about 2.5-3 gallons a week in top off water.

I'm trying to decide if a RO/DI unit would be a good investment. Is it better for people with bigger tanks or who regularly do larger water changes? Do you believe they are a good idea for smaller tanks?

So on the low side you use 400 gallons a year, so RODI from the store is about $140 per year. That alone could buy a whole RODI system in one year. You would have to replace sediment and carbon blocks like twice a year, but those would only be maybe a total of $40 per year after that and the membrane($35) is good for a few years.

So it would save you some money.....but the convenience alone of not lugging 400 gallons of water around a year is even better :)

Back