Is an unsquare 220g tank structurally unsafe?

cato

New England
I recently acquired a 220g tank that is about a 1/4 inch out of square on one side. Will this have detrimental effects on it's structural integrity? It is a few months old and built from 1/2 inch glass.

I personally think it is fine due to the fact I have seen custom tanks in every shape known to man including a trapezoid. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15445865#post15445865 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by evsalty
That sounds like a sign of poor craftsmanship which would get me thinking quite a bit.

Agreed. I won't mention it's an Oceanic. :rolleyes:

as long as its level u should be ok......ive seen worse...i got a used 18' tank that is 3/4 taller on one side and 3/4 longer on the other....the tank is 2" acrylic and its 8yrs old w/o issues

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15449029#post15449029 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mm949
as long as its level u should be ok......ive seen worse...i got a used 18' tank that is 3/4 taller on one side and 3/4 longer on the other....the tank is 2" acrylic and its 8yrs old w/o issues

Gives me hope. Thanks

Tank is only 3 mos. old. It sits flat. If you look at it, the right front corner is 1/4" off square. Joints and seams all look good. Unless you hold a framing square to it, you'd never know.

Back