Is it even remotely possible for BTA to hitchhike?

vickreyreef

So we got all new live rock about 3 weeks ago and there have been plenty of polyps etc as HH's......but in the last week I have seen what appears to be a translucent BTA looking growth on one of the rocks right under the lights mid-tank. I have a rose BTA and I would swear this thing looks really similar. I can't get a picture of it yet for you as it is really small and, well...translucent LOL....but wondering if it is even a remote possibility?

Do a search majano anemones. They look very similar to rbta's, but are really a pest anemone.

Usually a bubble-tipped hitchhiker turns out to be a majano anemone - that's how I got my first one. I didn't kill it because I thought it was attractive, not really a pest. That was about 200 majanos ago. I'd look it up and, if it's a majano, I'd nuke it with either Joe's Juice, Aiptasia-X, or the Blue Life Aiptasia product. It takes at least 2 treatments, unlike for aiptasia. But, really, it'd be cool if it's not one.

oh crud. I should have known. This live rock also came with aiptasia which showed up a few days after we put it in the tank, however our peppermint shrimp took care of in one night and it hasn't returned.
When they start to appear are they translucent?
I can see that it appears to be coming out of the rock work itself..not like a BTA that has a foot....so now I am sure you are right. it is of course in an awkward part of the back of the tank too and not a rock I can easily remove...sigh...
which product has worked best for you?

Don't see why it couldn't also be a hitchhicking BTA?
I even got a hitchhicker octopus years ago.
also could be that your BTA have split with the clone just showing up bleached a bit after being in the darkness of the rockwork!

It is definatley possible to get a hitchhiker BTA. I have had one or two in my day. Of course for every one or two BTA hitch hikers I have had probably 20 or 30 mojanos. LOL. Just watch it for a bit and if it shows more sings of being a BTA then congratulations! If not, just burn it down or zap it with some kalk paste, lemon juice, aiptasia x, joes juice, etc.

Garrett

i have to admit, during the water change today I sucked it off the rock and there is no way its a BTA..it has no foot...I have no idea what it is ....I say "is" because everything came off the rock except 2 transparent polyp looking things that have kind of a grey stem...so will keep watching and see what grows back.....very odd...

Back