Is it safe to drink RO water?

"Definition of osmosis: water moving from a place of low concentration " low TDS" to a place of higher concentration "higher TDS" our body. This means that our body absorbs pure water better than water with TDS. That explains why the increased urination, more water in more water out "

Last edited:
;16473837 said:
"Definition of osmosis: water moving from a place of low concentration " low TDS" to a place of higher concentration "higher TDS" our body. This means that our body absorbs pure water better than water with TDS. That explains why the increased urination, more water in more water out "

Last edited:
So I read most of this post and very informative. I just want to be clear.

Drinking Ro/Di water is good for you?

If you live in an area where heavy metals and pesticides are in heavy concentrations in your drinking water then RO/DI is good for you.

------------->However all of the good minerals that your bones and elements your organs need must be added back into your water or your diet somehow.

Most munincipal water sources require sediment and carbon block filtration only.

I have 2 water purification systems in my house. The RO/DI is for the fishies and corals, and Bob the Bass and the household drinking water goes through 3 stage sediment and 2 carbon blocks only no RO and no DI.

To make the best decision for you and your household I'd seek out dietician and medical information from the online sources that cite references to any of the noteworthy medical journals or associations such as internal medicine and family practice.

:lmao::lmao:

Not laughing at you. Just finding it funny that you got any clarity from this thread. I would say not harmful in and of itself. Good for you? big stretch. Do you need some of the things in ordinary water? Yes. Are there bad things in ordinary water? Sometimes. Do people get all of the vitamins and minerals they need from their food? Not usually. Is it worth bothering about to use RO/DI? Not imo. Why waste the membrane/resin. Drink your tap or bottled water unless it is known to have high levels of something questionable. If it is hard water, or tastes icky, filter it to save your taste buds and coffee maker.

Fffttttt. I've tossed back water in a bottle that's been in my truck a few days.

Folks that are concerned about this but then touch the handle exiting the bathroom at a restaurant. Wanna guess the amount of fecal bacteria u just put on your hand? Of the amount of fecal material on the average smart phone (since most folks pull em out in the crapper)?

I have however considered that the ro water removes the chlorine so yeah. If it sits around for a few weeks may not be good. Given the amount of water folks go through I really don't see water going stagnant. Now if its a lake house and it sits in a holding tank for a few months yeah - that might not be good to drink. And drinking water with bacteria in it is a bit different than introducing it into your blood stream, eh?

So the usual DI water our units produce isn't the ultra pure 18 mega ohm that pulls minerals from everywhere. Folks store their water in barrels for weeks successfully it seems.

I would be careful with taking advice without any studies to back it up when it comes to your health. There's a lot of pseudoscience in this thread.

I am no chemist, but I'm a pharm major. If you want my opinion, I think drinking RO water is an awful idea if you don't take into account the minerals lost from that. Not to mention the bacteria that can grow over time since the chloramine and other disinfectants are removed.

I would be careful with taking advice without any studies to back it up when it comes to your health. There's a lot of pseudoscience in this thread.

I am no chemist, but I'm a pharm major. If you want my opinion, I think drinking RO water is an awful idea if you don't take into account the minerals lost from that. Not to mention the bacteria that can grow over time since the chloramine and other disinfectants are removed.

No offense, but please don't propagate the "net wisdom" that drinking highly purified water in and of itself is bad for you in any way. It's simply a logical impossibility that has been wildly extrapolated from the basic idea of "people need minerals, purified water has none" to the completely incorrect and laughable conclusion that "therefore, drinking highly purified water is bad for you".

You are correct that there is some concern over any source water that contains no disinfectants or a purification system that removes said disinfectants. However, the risk of this from an RODI system is no different than a "pure water" pitcher that removes chlorine/chloramine, living in a house that sources its water from a well, or drinking milk that's been open a few days in the refrigerator. In other words, the concern is mostly for individuals that have a compromised immune system.

You can drink it no problem, i have been drinking ro water since i can remember, maybe 1992, and i am still here, lol, so dont worry and drink it

Sana

old thread.... yeah drink it... I use it exclusively to brew coffee... what a difference between it vs tap or tap plus carbon filtration in taste.

Oh, do you eat... well if so.. food has minerals in it lol...

No offense, but please don't propagate the "net wisdom" that drinking highly purified water in and of itself is bad for you in any way. It's simply a logical impossibility that has been wildly extrapolated from the basic idea of "people need minerals, purified water has none" to the completely incorrect and laughable conclusion that "therefore, drinking highly purified water is bad for you".

You are correct that there is some concern over any source water that contains no disinfectants or a purification system that removes said disinfectants. However, the risk of this from an RODI system is no different than a "pure water" pitcher that removes chlorine/chloramine, living in a house that sources its water from a well, or drinking milk that's been open a few days in the refrigerator. In other words, the concern is mostly for individuals that have a compromised immune system.

None taken. But I will continue to propagate this "net wisdom" because mineral deficiency is a possibility with DI water. Not saying it's going to kill you, but if you don't have another source for those lost elements it's going to be taxing on your body. Feel free to explain why it's a logical impossibility lol

None taken. But I will continue to propagate this "net wisdom" because mineral deficiency is a possibility with DI water. Not saying it's going to kill you, but if you don't have another source for those lost elements it's going to be taxing on your body. Feel free to explain why it's a logical impossibility lol

Your logic is flawed. RO will do no harm.

Back