Is it worth it?

Charley Diesing

Soo... I want a tank with the dimensions 48Lx18Wx17H (basically a standard 75 gallon but 4" shorter)... I plan on running the water level at around 14/15 inches with a nice wave action

This is how I plan on doing it...

1) Getting a standard 75G off of craigslist

2) Taking it a part/cutting down width/length sides by 4 inches

3) Re-silicone

4) Euro-brace tank with left over scrap pieces that I cut off

So... Why am I doing this... Because cell cast acrylic is ridiculously expensive... And I like projects

Any thoughts? Most 75G are made with 1/4" or 3/16" glass.

Thanks,

Charley

How will you know if any panes are tempered if it's used?
You can look at it with cheep movie 3d glasses and tell if it's tempered. It will have lines in it if it's tempered and will be clear if it's not. Just have to go outside and do this with the sun out. There's a couple good videos on YouTube on how to tell if glass I'd tempered or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

How will you know if any panes are tempered if it's used?

The same way you check glass before you drill any tank panel. Use polarized glasses/lens with a LCD back light behind the glass. While rotating the lens you'll see the strain pattern on the glass if its tempered. And tempered prevents a polarized lens from blocking out 100% of the light, unlike non-tempered.

Maybe if you found thick non-tempered glass for really cheap. But I would get a few quotes on a new tank to see if its worth your time.

A rimless in that size would be nice.

its very hard to take only 4 inches off a piece of glass unless you have a commercial tile saw or water jet but i see no reason why you cant do it.. You would prob be loosing money if you consider your labor involved.

I know here i can find nice 75 gallon tanks for 60 to 80 dollars all the time on craigslist..

I would get a quote on some plate glass form a local supplier. I got all my glass for 6'x2'x16" for just over $300. Save the time on taking apart the old aquarium and they cut everything for you.

I would get a quote on some plate glass form a local supplier. I got all my glass for 6'x2'x16" for just over $300. Save the time on taking apart the old aquarium and they cut everything for you.

Thats almost the ideal measurements for me! Any advice? What method did you use for silconing?

Back