Is my fish sick? picture inside

rafa316

I got a yellow watchman gobie from a friend who bought it for me at the LFS.
After putting it in the tank I noticed that there was something wrong with his mouth. It seems like hi bottom lip has been ripped in the middle. He is still very active and eats all the time. so I wonder if it might be a disease or he just had and accident. Also would he recover? what can I get him?

Thank you,
this is the best image of him I could get
149852sick_gobie.jpg

what kind of substate do you have ie. fine sand, medium or mixed grain sand, large grained sand, crushed corel?

They sift sand and prefere fine sand if you have mixed or large grained sand or crushed coral he may have hurt himself trying to sift through it.

I think I have medium sand maybe mixed with crushed coral. I took this picture yesterday, today they white loose tissue is gone. What can I do to help him recover?

If the sand's not to deep and he hangs around in the same spot id push the section he hangs around away and put down a layer of fine live sand.

I would however over a few months time slowly start replacing small amounts of the current substrate with fine sand just in the open areas to give him a place to sift through. mabey about a cup or two a month. these guys have an issue with larger grained sand and there instinct to sift ends up getting them hurt sometimes.

All you can really do is see if he's eating and if so give it time and see what happens. He may be fine or he may not make it. Just maintaine your water quality make sure you feed appropriatly and wait it out not much else can be done.

As to weather it will regenerate body parts no but he may heal up and be a bit disfigured (for lack of a better word) but time will tell.

Don't worry about it. As long as he is active and eating, he will be fine. We had one that got a little too excited for flakes one day and ran face first into a rock. He jaw was dislocated, but he was fine, he was also one of the fattest fish we had. The only reason he's dead is because we lost power last winter and couldn't keep the temp up.

there strong fish, i was taking mine out of the bag and into my net in my sink and he got out and went down the garbage disposel and was covered in food but my wifes little hands got him out and we put him in the tank and off the little guy went straight to cleaning, very strong fish.

Back