Is my fuge still worth keeping?

My fuge has been part of my system since I set up my tank a year and 9 months ago. With my nitrates constantly reading at or below 1 ppm and phosphates at or below .1 ppm Chelto won't growth. So, how much value am I really getting from my fuge ?

Dont let chaeto die, if its not growing check it and make sure its not dieng bc it willll leach nutrients while its dieng. But if its healthy and just doesnt grow very fast i would leave it as a home for pods, it can still be helpfull....
Ive seen fuge designs that just dont work for growing chaeto, make sure flow is very good

A fuge provides natural food source in pods, actually that was it's original design more than nutrient export.
On top of that a reverse light cycle helps maintain PH, so I would say since it's already there, why remove it.

150g DT, sump is 48"x 18" with 9" of water in it (in-water PS)
fuge is 18" x 15" with about 12" water, 6" DSB

flow is fairly slow from one of my overflow drains thru it & then back into the main sump which is what I thought it was supposed to be but I do have a PH in it.

I've never seen any pods in it and as for keeping Ph stable with the reverse light cycle, this only works if there is some macro algae there. Not sure how much a small fist sized clump of Chelto is doing for keeping Ph stable?

I'll have to watch this latest piece and see if it ends up just not growing or actually dying off ...

if my fuge looked like that I never would have asked the question .... but it doesn't & never has so there must be something I'm doing wrong because I'm not getting any of those benefits ...

Sounds like r chaeto needs more flow, or a better light.... Chaeto should be growing in a tank that size unless its very clean with alot of gfo running... Use a 23w cfl rite ontop of the chaeto and make sure the flow runs directly through it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
Oh btw i usually dont let it get that bad before i harvest lolll i just wanted to see how much i can harvest at once...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 0
I don't remember which bulb I have but I did a lot of research before buying what I have. I also installed a powerhead in the fuge to help with circulation about 9 months ago. The bulb is about 3" above the water.

My nitrates run at ~ 1ppm & phosphates run at .1 or less ...

The only thing that grows in my fuge is cyano & coralline alage on the sides ...

Been debating this too.. The only difference is 100' something gallons.

My tank is only 6g with a 10g sump. No Nitrates, no phosphates. Just steady pH levels and a place to keep a skimmer.

Been debating this too.. The only difference is 100' something gallons.

My tank is only 6g with a 10g sump. No Nitrates, no phosphates. Just steady pH levels and a place to keep a skimmer.

Your fuge is probably more essential than that of the OP. It is responsible for 60% of your water volume.

Back