Is my lighting (kessil) too intense (or something)?

CTaylor

Hi,

Those with kessil experience would be great. I'm attaching a pic of what happens to my acros at the tips. My lighting above my 22" deep, 48" wide, 24" front to back: kessil a700 and on either side is a kessil a360 x . I had the lighting as high as 80% peaking mid day. Though I have been dialing it down. I have it 80% for past 2 years. But also in that time my acros have done great then spells of dying off. I know there can be other factors, but if I can focus on this. Main reason I'm focusing on it is b/c some acros will start bleaching/dying but then I move them to lower light areas.. as low as I can while not being shaded and they come back.

With the tank at 80% max lighting, I cant put any acros higher than 6" off the bottom. But the par in that area is till 'only' 250 or so max. It's 250 on the very bottom and even toward the sides. Perhaps my par meter is off also, it's just a multimeter with a light sensor attached.

This latest one I'm trying to save has bleaching on the tips, there is good PE along the sides. The tips are slowly dying. I can clip them and growth seems to start but then it dies again. It just seems to me it's too much light because the tips get more light than the sides. Does this all make sense that I should be really more like 50% intensity , even 30%?

**I'd liek to go all way down to 30%, but then I dont want to have too little light and the acros die for that. ***Woudld too little light liekly result in bleaching or just browning out?

TTYY

Attachments

• IMG_5919.jpg
    IMG_5919.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1
I dont think from the limited I been able to read on par that its all there is as far as lighting and intensity even if my make shift par meter is correct. So I've put my light intensidty at 40% for all 4 pucks. Which really still isnt low light since it's 4 pucks over 4 foot length above 22" depth. That may be the lighting that MY tank needs and a very very slow acclimation to higher at some point.
I dont think even a perfect pic will make a difference showing that acro. It's basically diying from the tips down. But not smoothly It's like a marbled die off going down the branches. I know alk can easily have something to do with it, which I lowerd back to my tank's safe zone of 7-7.3 . I always say MY tank, becuase each one is different in what is best for them.
It's already beena few days at 40% lighting and no ill effects to the other not affected acros.... So I'll keep it here at least for a while and see how goes.

Back