Is my tank big enough for a pair of Triggers?

forddna

6' 220 (tall 180). I have 3 Tangs, possibly adding 1 more, a Two Barred Rabbitfish, pair of Perculas, and the world's best Yellow Tail Damsel. I'm hoping to add a small group of Anthias soon as well.

With my tank size and current fish, do I have room for a pair of Blue Throat or a pair of Crosshatch Triggers? Perhaps a different pair of triggers?

My opinion....No, you don't. I sent a mature male Blue Thoat to a 12,000 gallon tank because he was clearly not happy in my 400 gallon tank.

No where near big enough, particularly for a pair of crosshatches!
From recent posts it seems you really want inappropriate fish in your tank. No offence but why?

"Hobby Experience: 2 years FW. Brand new to SW."

"Interests: Buggin' people who want big boy fish in school boy tanks!"

:D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12849064#post12849064 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waterfaller1
"Hobby Experience: 2 years FW. Brand new to SW."

"Interests: Buggin' people who want big boy fish in school boy tanks!"

:D
Ok, Fair enough:D
I suppose the point I am trying to make is that there are many, many wonderful fish you can have in a 180g. It's a really good sized tank. There is no need to be wanting to add pairs of large triggers and clown tangs. There is a whole world of awesome additions which would do well in a 180g providing they are cared for properly.

There's no need to be rude. I have not put a clown tang or a pair of triggers in my tank. Isn't that the point of asking opinions beforehand? Why the flaming if I have only asked questions?

I'd a pair of 3" blue throats back in January and they didn't seem to be happy in my 180 as they paced in the back back-and-forth all day long and would only stopped during feeding. I ended up giving them away. I would definitely not consider the crosshatch trigs especially the ones that I see available are already in the 7-9" and the fact you've 3 tangs and possibly adding another.

Sorry, just my 2 cents.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12849636#post12849636 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flameangel88
I'd a pair of 3" blue throats back in January and they didn't seem to be happy in my 180 as they paced in the back back-and-forth all day long and would only stopped during feeding. I ended up giving them away. I would definitely not consider the crosshatch trigs especially the ones that I see available are already in the 7-9" and the fact you've 3 tangs and possibly adding another.

Sorry, just my 2 cents.

That's interesting. That is exactly the behaviour I got from my Blue Throats in my 400 gallon. I know these are very popular fish, but my experience is that this fish does not take well to captivity. It eats well, and survives...but is clearly not "happy".

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12850658#post12850658 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Untamed12
That's interesting. That is exactly the behaviour I got from my Blue Throats in my 400 gallon. I know these are very popular fish, but my experience is that this fish does not take well to captivity. It eats well, and survives...but is clearly not "happy".

Now come to think of it I remember reading your post how the trigger was pacing in the back and possibly scraping the back glass then I noticed my pair was doing the same. They were fine the first month and came out eating after a week. Always eating well especially fun watching them eating live cherrystone on a half shell.

Re: Is my tank big enough for a pair of Triggers?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12848260#post12848260 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by forddna
6' 220 (tall 180). I have 3 Tangs, possibly adding 1 more, a Two Barred Rabbitfish, pair of Perculas, and the world's best Yellow Tail Damsel. I'm hoping to add a small group of Anthias soon as well.

With my tank size and current fish, do I have room for a pair of Blue Throat or a pair of Crosshatch Triggers? Perhaps a different pair of triggers?
chimp_shaking_head.gif

Back