Is starfire glass worth it?

albertan22

Yet another question from Albertan22...

Does starfire glass really make that much of a difference? I've run a 20g freshwater tank for years and also have a 10g terarium with regular glass and have never noticed any distortion or tint to the glass that I couldn't live with. I don't however have any experience with larger tanks.

I'm looking at setting up either a 90g or a 125g reef tank. My wife figures that we should go with starfire glass seeing as how the tank will end up being the focal peice of furniture in the room (I know, she's a keeper). I've seen starfire tanks in the store, but always empty. They're nice to be sure, but does it really make that much of a difference?

sgarron

In a word....YES. You will see the true colors of your corals and fish. If you look at a tank with regular glass from the front and then from the top where there is no glass you will see what I'm talking about. For a really good example look at a tank with a clam in those two ways.

rustybucket145

The thicker the glass the bigger difference it makes in my opinion. If possible my next large display will definitely be starfire.

theclearblue

Here's a way to test.

If you can't tell any difference in optical clarity between float glass and acrylic, then you aren't going to notice float vs starfire.

Capt_Cully

Supposedly one of the major differences with starfire, is that it doesn't refract light. No matter your angle of view, things are not distorted. For example. When I look at the front, and side at same time, from an angle, I'll see the same coral in the side pane and on the front pane. Double vision. With starfire you see straight in. No double image or distortion.

I have seen them empty in person and they look amazing. I'm dying to see one in action.

Anyone have anything to add, cause I may be full of it, it's just what I heard at my LFS. (coulda just been trying to make an expensive sale)

Capt_Cully

yeah, that's what I heard, I'm interested to know if it's actually true or not. I've got to consider the source, and he's usually a little full of it.

I will say this, they do look very nice!

el Deutche

Everything that I read, ppl say it is awesome. Never seen a tank with starphire. Would like too. If you have the money, listen to the wife. If you don't like it, you can blame it on her

albertan22

I guess it'll be starfire. I don't think there's much of a chance that I won't be happy with it, but I like the way you think el Deutche ;)

Tylt33

Starphire isn't worth it to me. I visually can't tell the difference when presented with a tank, unless a Starphire is next to a regular tank, I can detect a slight difference. Starphire glass is made with a low iron content so it will be less green- that's the main difference. If you're planning on taking professional photos, or have money to burn, go for it. Be careful with the tank you buy though; some tanks, like the Oceanic "Tech" series only come with a front panel that is Starphire. I believe they may have changed that, but as always, buyer beware.

jerryvan

Hello--How much more are starphire over regular. I am in the process of getting a price on a new on from my LFS. Jerry

super stooge

i dont mean to hijack ur thread but could sum1 please give me a quick explanation of what starfire is, this is the first ive heard of it and im currently planning my next tank so this sounds very interesting :D

Tylt33

It's a "premium" low iron glass, meaning it is less green and supposedly better for viewing. Typically around twice (or more) the price of a regular tank. YMMV.

K' Family Reef

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11633607#post11633607 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by albertan22
I guess it'll be starfire. I don't think there's much of a chance that I won't be happy with it, but I like the way you think el Deutche ;)

Just be sure you know that starphire glass can scratch
MUCH EASIER then regular glass... perhaps like acrylic in this regard...

so iow
unless you are super careful or have your glass cleaning skills down pat - then prepare to see a lot of scratches.

if you or anyone out there is a beginner
then i wouldnt suggest it unless one is super careful cleaning the glass...

i still get occasional scratches on my glass
and i am super careful - sometimes might sweep past a piece of live rock w/ some sand on it and it gets caught up in your cleaning device then you continue scrubbing away at the algae not being even aware that the sand is there and just cointinuing to scratch the glass...

would never think its possible but it just happens even if one is careful, experienced and knows what they are doing.

personally i dont need anything any greater then what i already have and what is commonly available - i am SURE the starphire is pretty and makes the coral look great but from a practical standpoint - how much better could they look - and is it worth it to eventually at some point end up w/ more scratches then perhaps would have had had they used regular glass.

i know a lot of people who have acrylic tanks
and will never buy them again for this same reason - scratches.

so encourage anyone interested in this to research it further - there are alot of people using starphire and who swear by them... just be sure to know what you are getting into all the way around before jumping in!

regards

DrBegalke

Go Buckeyes!
Premium Member
That is kinda of the borderline of size/glass thickness for starphire glass having a big impact.

Anything below 1/2 inch thickness there isn't much difference, IMO.

Anything above 1/2 inch I would go with starphire.

A tank right at 1/2 inch... I guess it would depend on the price differential.

albertan22

I agree, I'm back to where I started, not really convinced that it's worth the extra money. I am a beginner starting from scratch and there's a lot of other places in the tank I'm planning I can sink that cash.