Is the CPR AquaFuge PS/PRO Refugium any good?

motorbikemike

Iam wondering if this is a good refugium for a 20 gal tank. I want to get rid of my hang on filter and add one of these.

Also how would I go about swaping it over? Would it be OK if I just take the filer off the back and put on the seeded fuge or do I need to seed the fuge and let it run for awhile and then swap it over?

I have been doing some reading on DIY stuff but I am kinda new to this so I want to see one work before I try to build one.

After I see how it all works I will build one for my 55.

My last Qustion is do you think a sump fuge is better or will the hang on do just fine?

Thanks
Mike

The hang-ons aren't bad, but they are fairly small. If you can fit a bigger refugium into the sump, that'd probably help.

I wouldn't disconnect the HOB filter suddenly. How much live rock is in the tank? If there's enough live rock, I would suggest slowly removing the filter media from the HOB, maybe 10% per week or so. Once that's done, you should be able to hook up the refugium. I suppose you could move the filter to the front of the tank as well, if you want to add the refugium now.

I have already pulled the bio media out of the HOF. I have around 25 LBS of LR and around 20LBS of live sand.

How long would it take to get a fuge working if you seed it with live rock and sand?

I hear that the bigger the better but I dont have much room in my cabinet so I think the hang on might be my best bet.

I wouldn't particularly put live rock or sand into a refugium. Maybe a bit if I wanted to grow certain animals, but I'd likely let macroalgae take up most of the space. The macroalgae can take a few weeks to get going, depending on species, etc.

I would just pick a macroalga or two, probably Chaetomorpha, and add water. If you want to grow a lot of amphipods and copepods, a very thin layer of live rock rubble might help.

put a small peice of LR in. you can tie your cheato to it. maybe get a mongrove or 2 in there to help lower nitrates more. That and they look neat.

Back