Is the Reef Octopus the Best Protein Skimmer out there?

My SRO 2000 should be here today. Going in my 120

Please let me know how it goes with the SRO 2000... I want to upgrade my SRO 1000SSS that is working great but i am undecided to the 2000 or the Aquamaxx EM-300 or the Cone 2.

Thanks in advance..

Just came in. I still probably have a month or so till I can gather all the parts to get the tank running. I'l let you know though how I like it. First impression though. It looks well built. Havnt heard many things bad about the BB pump. One thing I don't care for much is I don't see how to clean the bubble chamber easily. Cup seems large to hold a good amount of skim and comes off with a good pull. It's held in with an o-ring. Cup does have a drain and they include a hose for it already so that can always be an option. Here's a pic. I just threw it together quickly.
image.jpg

I loved my Vertex IN-80 when I had it in my sump. It pulled better than the previous octopus skimmer I had. That was before the bubble blasters though.

Hello Everybody there ;
I'm upgrading to a 75g and will use my current 38g (36"x12"x20"h) DT as a sump/refugium. I have not do it yet so I can baffle the tank as I want. It will have (2) 4" socks, the new protein Skimmer that I haven't selected yet, refugium, bubble trap and return pump.
I am between the SRO 2000 Internal for $409.99 or the Diablo 6" for $329.99.

What's your opinion? I'll be buying it tomorrow! Thanks in advance!

Looks like the big difference there is only the pump, the bodies look pretty much identical in design. The Diablo has a DC pump (ie variable speed) and the Bubble Blaster on the SRO pulls a bit more water & air (per info on coralvues website.) So the question would be is that extra water & air flow worth the extra price to you? Also note the warranty on the two pumps is different, if that matters to you. I don't see a rating for the wattage on the Bubble Blaster, but I would wager it is going to be higher than what the DC pump uses, so energy use & some extra heat dissipation might be another thing to consider.

That said, I have no experience with the Diablo skimmer or the dc pumps they use, but I've been very happy with my SRO 3000 with Bubble Blaster pump running on a 150g FOWLR.

Just came in. I still probably have a month or so till I can gather all the parts to get the tank running. I'l let you know though how I like it. First impression though. It looks well built. Havnt heard many things bad about the BB pump. One thing I don't care for much is I don't see how to clean the bubble chamber easily. Cup seems large to hold a good amount of skim and comes off with a good pull. It's held in with an o-ring. Cup does have a drain and they include a hose for it already so that can always be an option. Here's a pic. I just threw it together quickly.
View attachment 262731

In my case i clean the whole simmer once in a while with vinager....

Two completely different skimmers.
The one tested uses the otp pump and really is the bottom of the line. A better comparison would have been one of the Diablo skimmers with either the sicce 600 or the 1000 pump.

I don't think there is much difference in skimmer design when comparing all of these differnt skimmers, but it really comes down to the pump itself.

That was a good article on skimmers. This quote is interesting.

"protein skimmers appear to have a much larger variation in their prices than they do in their ability to remove TOC from aquarium water. Recent design innovations like bubble plates, conical sides, or pinwheel impellers do not seem to impact significantly on either rate of TOC removal or amount of TOC removed, at least for the skimmers tested. Thus, skimmer manufacturer claims about enhanced organic removal capabilities should be met with skepticism in the absence of compelling and quantitative TOC removal data."

From reading that it seems people should be running carbon and doing water changes and not assuming the big skimmer is getting it all.

Since they all do a decent job (Reef octopus worst of the bunch) I would look at ease of cleaning,
and build quality. For that euro reef or reef dynamics are best.

Last edited:
Never had a Octopus but I've owned a number of needle-wheel skimmers over the years and they all performed admirably. But my newly acquired AquaC EV is in a completely different league. Never seen anything like it. Somebody pinch me.

Is the Diablo a quiet skimmer?
Are there recommended, quiet skimmers out there or are they all relatively quiet?

I just purchased the SRO LX2000s HOB. I have a 75 gallon Reef with Medium to heavy bio-load. I can't wait till it comes in. I heard nothing but good things about it.

I had a reef octopus and upgraded to a Vertex Omega. The octopus worked well, but maintenance on it sucked on the pump and the body couldn't be cleaned. So on the Omega the pump pulls out instead of dealing with a union, the entire skimmer comes apart for cleaning, built better, pump is quieter, etc. I have zero regrets.

Back