Is there a tank made to fit this skimmer? -- (see pix)

Put your skimmer in the long way, then do as I did and combine the fuge and return area. Separate the pump from the fuge with a short baffle to keep sand out of the pump. On top of this short baffle, use eggcrate. This combines your return/fuge area and will help make up for the lost space of having your sump in the long way.

Melev's site has the plan I'm talking about: Melev's 20L Sump

Thanks VI. Yes, I'd seen Melev's 20L before. It is still an option also.
It would make for more refugium room, but since I'm going to be utilizing about a 1000g/h return pump, I don't want that much flow thru my refugium. That is why I've opted for a centralized return sump with the skimmer sump and refugium sump both feeding the return area independently.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9852088#post9852088 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
Tunze 9010 would fit easiily.
Indeed it would GSM!
But I don't have one of those.........................yet :D

Went to the glass shop today to get my panels for the sump dividers. They charged me almost $44 for four pieces of 1/4 x 8 x 12 plate with polished edges! That's almost more than double what I paid retail for the new 20L! And to add insult to injury, they said they MIGHT have it cut for me by Friday.
Almost felt the same as going to the doctors office! :D
Man........I'm in the wrong business!!

Well that's what I thought too. But there are only two shops in town. I'll check the other one tomorrow and see what they think. I think I can still cancel with the first one if need be.

Anyone know the going shop rate for 1/4" plate glass per sq ft?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9859011#post9859011 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by steve the plumb
why not go to HD and buy a piece of acrylic.Thats what My friend did for his sump

Definitely! I got a piece of 3/8 acrylic at Lowes for $12 or so and cut it to size with my jigsaw (using a regular wood-cutting blade). Slap a bit of silicon on them and you're done.

Why do you need polished edges on a sump baffle? Waste of money.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9858230#post9858230 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GuySmilie

Anyone know the going shop rate for 1/4" plate glass per sq ft?
that is way to high. Its 3 bucks a square foot at my local glass shop. i checked glasscages and they also charge 3 bucks a square foot so that would make it less then $12 for what you need. I had glass shops give me prices that were alot higher then others so it all depends on what shop you go to but ive never had them be that high. heres the link to glass cages glass prices to give you an idea. some shops charge closer to 4 bucks a square foot but thats still alot less then what there charging you and that includes getting it custom cut.
http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=42

lows cuts glass too i am going to go by there today i went to a shop localy and got quoted 14.50 pr piece for a over flow and i need 6 pieces total 87.00 more than i spent on the tank

Yea, i always go to lowes and get the pieces cut for acrylic or use my saw...won't cost over 20 bux for all teh baffles.........dohhhh!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9859011#post9859011 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by steve the plumb
why not go to HD and buy a piece of acrylic.Thats what My friend did for his sump
Well Steve, mainly because acrylic is about twice as expensive as glass, around here at least.

Besides, I checked back with the gal at the glass shop this morning and she did indeed charge me for polished edges, when I specified seamed edges. So I told her to forget the edges altogether and just make them clean cut. I brought them home and stroked the edges a few times with a diamond file and now I'm good to go!

So what started out as $44 worth of glass ended up being $20.
Now I'm at peace with the world.....once again :)

Back