Is there a way?

Puffyluv

Okay, so I ran across a bunch of this:

Material Name: Calcium carbonate
Type of process this material is from: Lithium hydroxide
Known contaminants: Lithium
Additional information: 30% water
Physical state: Cake

I know there has to be a way to use this, and I am looking for an extra cool DIY reactor project to do at the next ReefSMART or the one after. (I am really hoping to collect enough materials that the participants can make their own there!) Is this form anything that we can work with? I am not too sure, and I definately don't want to show people how to poison their tanks! =0

I have two concerns - the form it is in and the process it was made from - hmmm lithium? As many detailed suggestions as I can get would be great!

Thank you chemists! =) I swear I tried to figure it out myself, but I got a headache and came running in here instead....=/

Last edited:

Puffyluv

Actually the only articles I found that were any help to me understanding it were right there on reefkeeping.com! =) Yeah, the lithium thing really concerned me as well....

Randy you sure do know your stuff! Actually heard about you on another forum - recently and I think a few years ago as well from brandonberry, he used to make the two part solution all the time. I wanted to use it honestly because it is a waste material I can pick up in the state - part of a recycling program. If the materials that businesses dispose of can be re-used in a reef tank, that would be so awesome! =0 There are always so many people looking to cut costs and they seem to be willing to do any amount of work to get there - seems like people who really need to save would do it even though it might be extra work and it would help re-use materials....

Last edited:

Puffyluv

Okay, I had a feeling that would be the case. Wouldn't have put it past you to have some magic lithium removal trick up your sleeve, though, thought I'd check anyway! ;) Thanks for the help, I'll stay away!

Chris27

Okay, so I ran across a bunch of this:

Material Name: Calcium carbonate
Type of process this material is from: Lithium hydroxide
Known contaminants: Lithium
Additional information: 30% water
Physical state: Cake
=/

You wouldn't happen to be a home brewer would you? Sounds like something you would throw in the water right before the boil to make the water harder....

Puffyluv

No, I'm not, but the speaker organizer for RAS is - think I should tell him about this? =0 The website I found this crazy thing on BTW for any nc reefers out there is www.ncwastetrader.org - there are all kinds of things on there free or really cheap that could be useful to someone for something, if not for reefing! ;)

Happy reefing to you as well Randy, hope to meet you sometime! Ever come by NC - we put on some decent shows 'round here, especially nowadays! =)

Puffyluv

=0 Wow, really? We did not really have much going on around here until 2005 or so..... when did you used to live here? If you ever came back to visit we would be honored to have you do a talk or host a round-table on something! (I am involved in some way or know someone who is with pretty much every club / non profit around here, lol, be happy to spread the word if you were coming!)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Premium Member
It was 1986-90. I actually lived in Barton's Landing (North Raleigh) in '86-'87 then moved to Brooks Ave in '87. I've not been back since then except a business trip to Glaxo in RTP a few years ago.

Puffyluv

No kidding! Know a guy who used to have an LFS that made water for Glaxo. Small world! I live in North Raleigh! =0