Is there such a thing as a quiet skimmer?

Crankypants

Thinking of getting a skimmer for my 29g but was wondering what do you all recommend. Are there any ones that are quiet since I can't sleep to gurgling and motor noises? :D

If HOB, I would reccomend Aquamaxx HOB-1.
That is not the skimmer I own, but from my research and personal experience with others it seems to be the quietest. I may find out first hand if I can't handle my newest skimmer's noise.

I can't hear my Bubble Magus NAC6 at all. It was much louder with the factory impeller, but after replacing it with a needlewheel only impeller it is near silent.

If HOB, I would reccomend Aquamaxx HOB-1.
That is not the skimmer I own, but from my research and personal experience with others it seems to be the quietest. I may find out first hand if I can't handle my newest skimmer's noise.

Thanks I'll check that out. HOB is probably what I'll prefer.

You could try the NAC3 from Bubble Magus. I really wish I could tell you how it was, I do have one, but i have not setup yet :(

i have a bubble magus nac7 and it is dead silent. i can't even hear it running AT ALL. so if the smaller bubble magus are well built too im sure they'd be silent

I ran a Deltec MCE 300. Awesome skimmer and no noise. The only caveat is that their customer service is not so great

thanks all ... I'll definitely check these out. Now the really hard part is even finding room in the budget lol.

I hear you on that, but make sure that the skimmer is not something to go cheap in its such an important aspect to the tank. I went cheap and spent $120 on my first skimmer and it was a bad choice because shortly after I spent $300 on a good one because the other wasn't cutting it for me.

As you can see from the above, you will need to decide if you want HOB or in-tank. The tunze and bubble mag's are in tank/in-sump skimmers.

Back