Is this Canister Filter worth $75?

agreed

absolutely unecessary

If you want to run some media such as carbon or gfo just buy the BRS standard media reactor for $50

they are trying to sell you something you dont need either due to simply making a sale, or not knowing themselves

A little bit of live rock and decent flow through it along with your skimmer is all that is needed.

A media reactor as I suggested before can be hlepful for running carbon or GFO, and will process yoru water through your chosen media way more effectively than the passive way that filter you are looking at works

get a wet/dry filter. theyre no saving money when buying cheap equipment because all its going to due is bite you in the a$$ later!

That skimmer will be fine. There are lots of ways to go in this hobby, if you have limited funds and who doesn't set a budget and a shopping list, you could just do water changes until you finish buying everything you need. Patience is a virtue I started back in the hobby with a very limited budget A small tank is cheaper to keep and you can get your experience with it. Two things I do not like about advice from hobbies is people who just want to sell anything regardless if it is good or right and the other stating that you have to have the best. I think most people on this site are very helpful and mean well so take their advice and do some research. Keep us posted we are not here to tell you" told you so" just to help. Good luck

Ok thanks for the help. So is there a good wet/dry filter you can point me too? Seems like that's the way to go. Thanks again. There are just so many options.

I'm going to agree with flyyguy on this; just go with a skimmer (doesn't have to be amazing), some decent flow (again, doesn't have to be top of the line pumps, especially for a fish-only system), and some good live rock. You'll waste your money on a wet/dry filter, money that could go to your live rock, skimmer and powerheads/pump. If you want a sump, just buy a standard tank that fits under your stand. That's just my .02. :)

Ok, first off try to build yourself a sump. Second dont put a wetdry filter or canister or hang-on the back filter on a marine fish tank. What you need is a good base of live rock and a protein skimmer. Filters are for freash water tanks, when in saltwater you want the Live Rock and skimmer doing your filtering. The other filters you named will just build up nitrates over time.

You can use a wet dry, but if going reef, fill it with live rock. If fish only, the bio balls will be ok, but I would rather do the live rock.

80sump.jpg

Back