Is this Frogspawn?

Thank you!

Frogspawn is the more "dense" coral - right?

The others that look somewhat like it are not as "dense" and seem to have less "arms" for the same size... correct?

:confused:

Can see some of the tips look a little like hammer but I lean more toward frogspawn.. Fwiw, I have a piece that I call a frammer, lfs I got it from said it's appears to be a hybrid.. I dunno, I like it anyway

I vote hammer:
Frogspawn with purple in various spots on the green tentacles:
p-82677-frogspawn.jpg

Hammer with color at just the ends of the tentacles:
p-82833-hammer.jpg

They look similar so you have to look closely to tell them apart.

On all the polyps I see there are secondary "tips" along the stalks. That makes it a frogspawn in my book. BTW, they all have the same care requirements. That is one neat looking coral though.

Are you referring to the multiple tips?

That is also characteristic of a head getting ready to split.
In the video or my pic?

In the video, I could go either way hammer or frogspawn, wouldnt argue for either really. I would just call it a euphyllia species. It was just all the comments about you can tell by the tips, mine you can't just go by tips so just joking around.

On my pic, that coral always has the hammer shaped tip but also the stalk? (whatever you call it) has the frogspawn appearance. Lfs I got it from said it was some weird hybrid they have it in their display and frag it occasionally , I dunno. I got it as a single head, thought it was cool.

On all the polyps I see there are secondary "tips" along the stalks. That makes it a frogspawn in my book. BTW, they all have the same care requirements. That is one neat looking coral though.

That is how I distinguish them as well. However, with my hammer colony, all polyps will usually develop "secondary tips" and begin to split around the same time. That is provided the whole colony has equal flow, nutrient, and light sources.

Back