Is this green algae good or bad?

ps2cho

I am 3.5 weeks into my tank cycle and noticed this in my soon to be refugium:

Is this good or bad stuff?

I was using walmart RO water, but today bought the Spectrapure RODI unit and I am getting 0ppm out of it. Will replace water with that going forward. FWIW.

algae.JPG

Almost all algae is good algae save a couple. If you are 3 weeks into your cycle you probably have pretty bad water and the algae is cleaning it for you. Just leave it be for now.

I bet that walmart RO water wasn't the greatest then. I tested it each time I went and it was anywhere from 10-25ppm. I thought at the time that would be "OK", but obviously it wasn't. Glad I bought my own RODI unit now.

I am at ~150ppm nitrates right now, but I have only done one water change since the beginning of about 20%. Do you think I should get more changes done?

Hard to tell from the photo but most likely diatoms at 3.5 weeks. Diatoms will come go and through the life of the tank and are part of cycling. If the tank has finished cycling a good water change is in order, if not just wait until it's done cycling.

1st question is has the tank cycled... if yes you should do more water changes with good RODI water. If it were me I'd do 20-30% every 2-3 days until I got it below 40ppm. Also leave the lights out for a few days or more if nothing but rock in there.

You definitely need to do more/frequent water changes to get the nitrate down if your cycle is completed (ammonia & nitrite at zero). If ammonia & nitrite aren't at zero yet, I'd just wait on the water changes.

You're going to go through several unsightly cycles: diatoms, cyanobacteria, probably hair algae. This is common for new tanks & as long as you keep your water parameters under control & as steady as possible, they should go away as the tank settles in & matures. The first 6 months to a year can be quite ugly, that's where patience comes in!

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 6
Nitrate: 150

So no, the tank has not cycled full yet (hoping another month will do the trick)....Water changes or no water changes?
I am adding about 1-2ml of ammonia per day right now.

The rock is lace rock I believe. Its tank safe.

Stop adding ammonia and let the tank finish it's cycle. In about a week or so you should see the nitrite drop or dropping. When ammonia and nitrite are both 0 do a large water change 40%. Let it set a couple days and do another. If not below 40ppm nitrate do 1 more large water change. After that you should be able to get a couple pcs of live rock and see if it causes a mini cycle. If not you should be good to go start doing regular weekly water changes. Get a cuc and have fun.

I have 10lbs of live rock right now, and 70lbs dry, then 20lbs live sand, 10lbs dry.

So you think no more ammonia? I was under the assumption to keep dosing until enough bacteria had developed that it read 0 after 24hrs.

Looks stalled... Take some water to your LFS for testing, sometimes it's nice to be sure it's not your kit. Stop the ammonia if it's not rising it's coverting. Now the nitrite has to start converting to keep up. Once thats complete you should be able to add a little ammonia and see it's gone in 24hrs.

I have another kit that I used and it read same readings.

I will stop the ammonia and report back soon.

Make sure you are using only fresh RODI water no salt for top off(evap.) and your mixed water for water changes match temp. and SG. You may want to run a fan over the tank to keep the temp between 78-80 and check the heater.

Living in Arizona outside temps right now are 98F...so its getting warm, but the house inside ambient is 79F all the time, so the tank should stay at that temperature. No heater in the tank since I won't need one until the winter comes around.

Living in Arizona outside temps right now are 98F...so its getting warm, but the house inside ambient is 79F all the time, so the tank should stay at that temperature. No heater in the tank since I won't need one until the winter comes around.

98???? It was already 103

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I lived in phx. for about 6 years... it does get warm there. You've got lights and pumps that heat the water also. A fan will help keep the tank temp close to ambient temp. and makes a nice humidifier. I have to run 1 a couple hours a day here to hold the tank temp down room temp is 76-78 tank runs about 78-80.

I got a digital thermometer today -- is 81F max OK?

Also, did a 25% water change with my RODI water for the first time and here are the new water stats:
Ammonia: 0.10
Nitrite: 1.0
Nitrate: 20

Drastic drop from a few days ago.

PLUS -- Are these diatoms on the edge here?
diatom1.JPG

and....got my 2 O-clowns in the quarantine tank. I bet it'll be perfect timing. A few weeks more for the diatoms to go crazy, then another 2 weeks for the CUC to bring it back :)

clown1.JPG

Last edited:
Deffinately better #'s :) Nice looking clowns.
81 may not make some stuff happy but shouldn't kill anything tropical.
That looks like diatoms to me.

Back