Is this light overkill?

pieceofreef

Hi! I have a 15g long beginner reef that currently has a dual t5ho fixture with ATI bulbs on it. I've read til my eyes are crossed and can't decide if this LED fixture is suitable. I do want a variety of corals. Would this light work?
[link removed at request]

Last edited by a moderator:
How long is the 15 gallon long? I'd do this light, as it is dimmable, so you could control the brightness.

You must get this and do a write up. Be carful if it is what it says it is you can easily over power your corals and burn them but the dimming feature should control that for you. One thing about LEDs is that they put out a lot of usable energy but are not visually as bright as other lights. So many people make the mistake of turning up the brightness of the LEDs not test/knowing that it may be to much for the corals.

Side note it is amazing how fast LEDs came down in price and rival the abilities of even the better MHs.

IMO its way overkill. You should be able to keep all softies and most LPS with the light you presently have.

IMO its way overkill. You should be able to keep all softies and most LPS with the light you presently have.

I've had lots of folks tell me I'm gonna fry my corals with the 120w. My tank is 24 inches long and there's only about 12 inches from the sub to the surface. I found this one which I think is much more suitable hopefully. Any feedback is appreciated.

[link removed]
According to a few sources the 70w range is better for this tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back