is this okay

How many watts are your T5 bulbs? What kind of corals? Softies, LPS, SPS? Lighting requirements typically increase in that order.

How long the tank has been set up will have nothing to do with if the lighting is okay or not. More information about your particular tank and types of corals you want to keep will help answer your actual question though. There's also a great, but very long thread, in the lighting forum, called the T5 Q&A. It's started by Grimreefer, who's probably the most knowledgeable guy there is on T5 lighting. Throughout the entire thread, he gives great advice on lighting combinations, depending on fixture, tank and types of corals.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15292960#post15292960 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by returnofsid
How long the tank has been set up will have nothing to do with if the lighting is okay or not.

Considering he is asking if the light is ok to add corals..how long the tank has been set up DOES apply. If it has been set up for two weeks..then nothing should be added..if longer maybe..

Well lets surmise, shall we? I assume this is the OP's 29g. 2x T5 bulbs, it seems. Hard to imagine anything more than 24w bulbs over that sized tank. So... 48w over 29g equals approx. 1.7 watts per gallon.

Umm... yeah, you need more light for most corals.

Onecrzyboi4u, give low light corals a look. You might find you'd rather focus on that rather than more lighting. A lot of low light corals don't do well under more intense light.

Just a thought, but no coral suggestions. My knowledge of low light corals is very limited. Anyone else?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15293385#post15293385 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whys
Well lets surmise, shall we? I assume this is the OP's 29g. 2x T5 bulbs, it seems. Hard to imagine anything more than 24w bulbs over that sized tank. So... 48w over 29g equals approx. 1.7 watts per gallon.

Umm... yeah, you need more light for most corals.

Onecrzyboi4u, give low light corals a look. You might find you'd rather focus on that rather than more lighting. A lot of low light corals don't do well under more intense light.

Just a thought, but no coral suggestions. My knowledge of low light corals is very limited. Anyone else?
The op's light has four bulbs hence his first post listing a 4 bulb combo. HO's at that. With the 4 bulbs he should be more then capable of sustaining many different coral species.

As for the origional question that combo will probably yeild a very bright white with very little blue hue.

"for t5s" or 4x t5s? He only lists 2 bulbs. Need more information.

edit: oh I see. I was assuming the named bulbs were both 10k bulbs. My mistake. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15293556#post15293556 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whys
"for t5s" or 4x t5s? He only lists 2 bulbs. Need more information.

edit: oh I see. I was assuming the named bulbs were both 10k bulbs. My mistake. :)
:D

That's over 5 watts a gallon. Not bad at all. Tho wattage per gallon is not an ideal measure, I would personally shoot for 7 for SPS. But my experience is limited, so perhaps others will chime in.

Back