Is this really C. prolifera?

Musing.Dog

I bought this macro as Caulerpa prolifera but some of the blades are lobed. I know that it grows somewhat differently in calmer water than in turbulent water, but just to double check... is this C. prolifera?

It's my understanding that C. brachypus has toothy edges?

P9040004.jpg
P9040005.jpg

Yes it is C. prolifera. This is a pic of a Caulerpa species with much smaller leaves which I believe is C. brachypus.

Attachments

• IMG_2400.5.jpg
    IMG_2400.5.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the reply BruceW, none of the blades on mine are really any longer than 2". I haven't had it for very long though. Just looking to make sure, I am just stepping into the world of macros. : )

The species in the picture you posted is quite attractive. Thanks for the comparison reference.

My C.prolifera looked like yours when it was in my 55 tall but it seems to love the 10 macro tank with 6.5 watts per gallon lighting. Here's a pic of how it looks now.

Attachments

• IMG_2393.5.jpg
    IMG_2393.5.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 0
Your 10 is very beautiful and natural. I hope mine grows out this nicely. I have my prolifera in a currently cycling 20 gallon long with ~4.8 wpg of compact fluorescent lighting. It's actually a 2x96 watt fixture but needs its cooling fans replaced and I believe it wise to replace these before running both bulbs. Very encouraging, I was hoping that it wouldn't stay thin and sort of scraggly.

Back