*** is this Scarlet Reef Hermit doing?

Apoplexic

So for something close to 18 hours at the time of posting, I have had a Scarlet Reef locked into this position with a freshly-boiled, clean empty shell. I note this specifically as it hasn't had time to be "food" yet (no algae, nothing hidden inside), and yet the crab won't leave it alone.

I have had the Red/Blue/Yellow/Orange/whoactuallyknowsuntilthecrabislarger Tip Clibanarius species in my tank change shells several times, and it is always a quick investigation/drop in for fit check/keep it or go back process. My Scarlets, however, are all still in the shells they came in.

So a two-part question. First, has anyone ever seen a Scarlet change shells? Not after, when it's in a new one, but actually swap out observed.

Second, does anyone know if the Paguristes genus (or the cadenati species specifically) modify the inside of their shells? Several species of land hermits do this, and some to a great degree. Staghorn marine hermits, though not even in the same genus, also present this behavior with their living invertibrate home, carving out the space for its body rather than seeking a new shell, and have even been observed climbing the horns fully exposed to do "maintenence."

Either way, the crab stayed latched to the inside as I moved it to redecorate, and didn't come out hours later for my "mysis-bomb", aka feeding time, when the rest of the crabs I've presumed dead because I haven't seen them in days show up. Its behavior is odd, and I'm really curious what it's up to.

Attachments

• 20180210_103733.jpg
    20180210_103733.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 0
It might be ready to molt, so it is trying to do this before the switch, had it happen a few times!

I've been wondering about this since I read they do surface molts, and fast ones compared to the land crabs. It still strikes me as "funny" that they either don't care to hide, or that this crab considers itself hidden. They're still alive and thriving in multitudes in the wild though, so it obviously works.

As I recall they molt at night? Would my blues bother this or is that probably "night" enough?

Unless I missed a quick nomming of exo, the fella was just taking a day and a half to change shells.

If the old one doesn't have a new owner after a few days, I'm going to poke around in it with something and try to see if it's been hollowed out.

Attachments

• 20180210_235113.jpg
    20180210_235113.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20180210_235223.jpg
    20180210_235223.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
Back