Is this true?

onecrzyboi4u

I been hearing and seeing alot of people say.. for a refugium you need to have it bigger than your tank.. Is this true? If this is true. then i'm screwed.. I have a 29 gal and i'm using a medium HOB fuge.. with my cheato on 24/7. I was doing reverse lighitng cycle. but since i am running 24/7 ive noticed a change in my main tank looking better.

Ok just wondering. i mean i have no sump or skimmer.. but my cheato is growing like a weed! has tons of bristleworms and mini stars

The size of your refugium will be more dependent upon how you are utilizing it in your setup.

If you are running it as the primary/only means of filtration and nutrient export for your tank... The bigger the better.

i turned my ac 110 filter into a refugium and it works good for me i have a Green Mandarin and there are more than enough pods for him, thats only 2 or 3 gallons on a 110 tank

Not true at all!

I will probably be doing a 5 gallon fuge in my 26g, but I might just replace that for a skimmer.

I've read at least 10% is a good target. The more the better. But now with the VODKA DOSING I don't think you have to have a really big one at all. Just enough to grow some pods an whatnot since Vodka will take care of Nitrates, Phosphates, and you don't need to use Carbon either.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13148980#post13148980 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by weluvfish54
^^ you really rely on vodka as your tank stabalizer lol...

I use vodka as my mind stabilizer everyday, why should his tank be any different? lol

i never used it but i have seen some great tanks that used vodka it does work. i was to lazy to research and find out how much to dose

No. Better think of it relative to size of the fish you want it to support. If you have a 20g fuge, it will support a mandy in grand style.

Yea, sounds crazy. I guess they've been doing it in Europe for a long time and they've been talking about it here at RK so much recently that there is an article about it now in the latest RK magazine. READ IT before you make any judgements. It will take care of your nitrates, phosphates, what your carbon would do for you, increase skimmer performance, etc. Randy and the other big-wigs around here have been talking about the article all month. In fact, they said it will do so much for your nitrates that you might want to feed your tank more so they're not too low. Now that is some crazy stuff. But it works.

Back