Issues with Under Skimming?

Porthos

I was wondering what potential issues could occur with under skimming? I'm setting up a 92 gallon corner tank with a 15 gallon sump, and I'm looking at getting the Euro-Reef RS80. I'd like to get a RS100 or RS135, but I think height would be an issue because those models don't have the Euro-Loc so they require more clearance to remove the cup. Plus the RS80 is cheaper.

So, what problems would I have with under skimming:

- Would I have to empty out the cup more often?
- Could it cause the skimmer to break or wear out faster?
- Would it have any bad effects on my livestock?
- Any other problems?

If it just means I would have to empty the cup more often, I might be able to live with that.

Probably would have to empty the cup more often I'd think.
It wouldn't really "wear" the skimmer out early or anything though.
may have bad effects on the livestock though, less skimming means more nutrient rich water, and not in a good way. Too much dissolved organics in the water and whatnot and you may start to notice some corals receding, others may brown jelly up on ya. Lot's of potential hazards. Too ensure this doesn't happen, just up the amount of water you do with your regular water changes, and do a minimum of once a week. Test often for awhile until you see the tank stabalize some and this will give you a good idea of how the tank is doing with the skimmer you choose. may also wanna consider getting a test kit for the Dissolved organics, skimmers remove more than that I'm sure, but it'll let ya know if it's really not enough.

Back