Jaebo WP40 - junk?

It's funny to me the vortec/Tunze loyalists who want these outstanding bargain pumps to BE junk so they will feel better about spending 5x more lol

Seems like an odd thing to say. I don't read 'loyalist' or 'apologist' in any of the comments in this thread? People buy what they buy for all sorts of reasons: value, performance, reputation, etc. Vortech have their segment of customers, Jaebo have theirs - heck, there's probably quite a lot of overlap. Nobody yet know what the mean time to failure will be for these Chinese knock-offs. Maybe it'll be a year, two years ..... less ... who knows. Time will tell - and it has nothing to do with being a loyalist.

I'm a big fan of the Vortech pumps, but I must say I know very little about how long one can expect them to last. If it costs 5 times more, will it last five times longer? What's the 5 year ownership cost of each? Probably closer than one would think, but time will tell.

I've had one for about 6 months and just got another one last week. They seem to be equal in power, older one might have slitghtly less power but can't tell a difference. I did clean the old one and now one of them does have a humm to it when it hits full power. Can't figure out which one it is

This is one of the first threads I have seen with a problem with the pump it self. Usually it is the controller or light sensor. I don't own one but I have been lurking for a good deal on one for a bit and I seem convinced to purchase one soon and ditch my koralias and regain my money back lol. Even if its life is 6 months, its pretty good considering I spend a lot more on other things in this hobby.

I will reserve judgment on these. If I ever was looking for cheap and couldn't afford my Vortechs, I would def have gotten them. They look like they do the job...even if it's for a short while :mixed:

But on the other hand I love the dependability of my Vortechs and how quickly Ecotech reacted the "ONE" time I needed them. For me, peace of mind is better than a bargain....

Higor

I like the fact I can aim the flow with the wp's. I got my vortech but its not in the tank anymore. I've actually found myself using more of the settings on the wp than I did with my vortech. Still haven't hooked them up to my apex yet.

I like the fact I can aim the flow with the wp's. I got my vortech but its not in the tank anymore. I've actually found myself using more of the settings on the wp than I did with my vortech. Still haven't hooked them up to my apex yet.

You love 'em now just wait til you can get crazy flow patterns thru your apex. I have mine running through my reef angel and my flow changes nonstop all day long now.

to those who bashes jebao's wp wavemakers, lets assume 2 - 3 years from now and its well known that their wavemakers (wp40/25/60) are still running great as ever and has proven that unless its a lemon set, it can run for a couple years without any issue, would you guys dump your vortech/Tunze and get one?

I have 3 wp 40s bought the third as a back up the two I use have been running great so far .but one came out of the box missing the rubber gasket that goes around the base magnet thing .I was glad I bought a third to steal parts from but that still kinda stinks.
On my big tank I have been using mp 40s for 5 years I have had six of those .one running now of my four on the tank is an original.I have had to send three back for various problems and have one newly dead currently as well.but I also keep a new spare vortech laying around for parts and emergency s. On a side note the last vortech I bought came with the black rubber thing that goes between the pump and the glass missing.I guess I am just jinxed when it comes to the black rubber things

Last edited:
to those who bashes jebao's wp wavemakers, lets assume 2 - 3 years from now and its well known that their wavemakers (wp40/25/60) are still running great as ever and has proven that unless its a lemon set, it can run for a couple years without any issue, would you guys dump your vortech/Tunze and get one?

Nope because my tunze will still be running great by then!

I agree with some - that if they last a couple years (which is what I would have guessed) they'd be worth it. I'm cheap, so I like cheap things. :) But 6 months is unreasonable and not economical. Hopefully mine IS a lemon.. and most others out there last a few years.

I explained my situation and troubleshooting to the vendor. They have agreed to send me a new pump for the cost of shipping. So... I'll try it, and if it goes bad within 6-8 months again, I'll be looking for a quality pump next.

In their current form they are too bulky for me but if they eventually had a low profile I would consider it.

LOL @ you haters. There are countless thread where MP pumps fail so even with top of the line merchandise, not saying MP pumps are top of the line, they bound to have a few lemons.

My LFS has WP40 pumps and they are on W1 mode where the propeller stop and go every few second to create waves. And the pumps are still going strong. If you're a sucker then go ahead spend ton of money on MP pumps. But I know Jebao are eating into Vortech's profit and I'm glad that's happening. No way anyone should pay a king ransom's for a water pump.

How long do the competitors typically last?

3 years so far on my two Tunze 6205's and close to two years on my 6105's without a glitch and I beat the crap out of them with constant on off's every 6 tenths of a second.

3 years so far on my two Tunze 6205's and close to two years on my 6105's without a glitch and I beat the crap out of them with constant on off's every 6 tenths of a second.

*if I were to spend more money than necessary I would definitely buy a Tunze over a vortec.

How long does a vortech last? 6 months is still too short a time to lose any (any) piece of reef mechanical equpment. Most have at least a year warranty and some stores have extended warranties.
Sometimes big money means it new and innovative not necessarily better quality. So you pay for innovation and hope to get quality. If you're not happy hopefully the company has excellent customer service.
Vortech great idea , i Like the no wires in the aquarium. Controllability can now be done with a number of pumps.

Back