Jawfish Tank

NDJ

Hi, looking for some advice on setting up a Jawfish friendly tank. Looking to keep a pair of blue dot or yellowhead, tank is a 26" cube. I was thinking along the lines of a 5-6" sand bed of West Caribbean Reef, is it advisable to try and stop this functioning as a DSB if so what CUC is advisable.

Lots of opinions and advice required.

Thanks.

No real long term experience here - just over 12 months with pearly jaws in about 2" of sand. More would be ideal but they adapt to a more diagonal burrow in my tank. Blue spots are a bigger species and will require more depth (what you propose sounds right).

You could also attempt a PVC burrow - basically a circular pvc home with a T that you cover with a barnacle cover. I've seen this done for nano tanks with BS jawfish. I tried this with my yellow-heads but I think the "home" is too big for their liking.

In terms of CUC - I utilize strombus conches, cerith and nassarius and sea cukes to stir/aerate the sandbed.

I would advise the occasional vacuuming of a sandbed. In larger sized tanks a DSB might be self-sustainable with the right mixture of fauna (worms etc) but smaller sized tanks will require intervention (e.g. vacuuming or period renewal of CUC/etc).

just my 2 cents. Good luck - jawfish have fantastic personalities. Mine stay about 4 inches apart and once in a while share the same burrow.

No real long term experience here - just over 12 months with pearly jaws in about 2" of sand. More would be ideal but they adapt to a more diagonal burrow in my tank. Blue spots are a bigger species and will require more depth (what you propose sounds right).

You could also attempt a PVC burrow - basically a circular pvc home with a T that you cover with a barnacle cover. I've seen this done for nano tanks with BS jawfish. I tried this with my yellow-heads but I think the "home" is too big for their liking.

In terms of CUC - I utilize strombus conches, cerith and nassarius and sea cukes to stir/aerate the sandbed.

I would advise the occasional vacuuming of a sandbed. In larger sized tanks a DSB might be self-sustainable with the right mixture of fauna (worms etc) but smaller sized tanks will require intervention (e.g. vacuuming or period renewal of CUC/etc).

just my 2 cents. Good luck - jawfish have fantastic personalities. Mine stay about 4 inches apart and once in a while share the same burrow.

Thank you for the info Phil, it's much appreciated.

I have been thinking of ways to support the Living Rock above (on top of the sand bed) was thinking about plus signs (+) made out of acrylic siliconed to the bottom of the tank or just strips of acrylic.

Do you think this will interfere too much with burrowing activities?

I have also ordered an acrylic frame between which I can sandwich some mesh.

What do you guys recommend as mesh, one to keep the jawfish in the tank and two not to interfere with lighting to much?

What do you guys recommend as mesh, one to keep the jawfish in the tank and two not to interfere with lighting to much?

I use glass over mine but mesh would work as well as it's fine. Jawfish are excellent at jumping, so some sort of covering is 100% necessary. You'd also be surprised at the size of hole they can fit through.

I've had my BSJF try and jump out of a RSM34,but since it's covered he never could.I had a ~4inch sandbed in the tank,but i epoxied the rockwork on top of eggcrate before adding the sand,that way it would be stable and not shift.It was a smart move on my behalf,cause this fish has like 6diff burrows/holes.

Back