Jay's 40B Build: Crappy Photo Edition

My orchid is so peaceful it's crazy, well unless someone trys to swim into his cave. It's my favorite fish.

Cool thanks for the info. I keep going back and forth with drilling or not. Mostly cause the 40 will be my stepping stone into salt water. In my head im thinking hob skimmer and hob fuge so when I get this down and upgrade to a shallow 80 gallon I can just use the 40 breeder for my sump and figure the hob fuge would be loaded wit pods by then and just toss that on the back. But of course plans never work out right

Drill it, if you do upgrade you can still use it for a sump.

Video test

<iframe src="https://vid.me/e/BjEV" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen scrolling="no"></iframe><div><a href="https://vid.me/BjEV?source=embed" style="font-size: 11pt; text-decoration: none;"></a></div>

_cfimg-7330487628589787549_zpsorf1lon2.png

This beauty is on the way

Last edited:
QT has been frustrating, I also picked up a flasher wrasse that has some sort of skin infection or parasite. The firefish doesn't show any physical symptoms but both have low activity and appetite, possibly from the cupramine treatment.

Sadly whatever illness this is claimed the firefish last night. I'm a little stunned because he seemed the more healthy of the two, but last night he started exhibiting very labored breathing and he did not eat for 3 days.

The wrasse still has physical signs but is eating again and swimming around the tank for the first time.

That's a bummer about the QT death. Have you ever tried the tank transfer method? I've had really good success with it. Of course, if the fish is showing some disease, then additional treatment is required, but for an apparently healthy fish, tank transfer (+observation) is all I do now.

I have been reading about TTM, is this a relatively new method? I don't recall hearing about it a couple years ago. It seems this is mostly used to eliminate the possibility of ich? For what it's worth, I don't have any reason to suspect ich is a problem right now.

At least LiveAquaria was quick to issue a refund for the firefish. I like the idea of the Diver's Den observation period (supposedly with prazi pro treatment), but it didn't buy me anything in this case. I think I'll just stick to local shops...

Back