Jay's New Bigger... But Still Little Ocean - 425 gallons.

JaysLittleOcean

Guys wants a new and bigger reef tank. Guy asks girl if he can purchase a bigger reef tank and she says yes. Custom reef tank arrives and girls immediately regrets that decision. :)

72 Inches Width x 36 Inches Depth x26 Inches Height, manufactured with 3/4 low iron glass. Built by Glass Cages. External overflow with six 1.5 inch drains and two 1 inch returns on either side of the overflow. The bottom of the aquarium is starboard on top of the glass with additional glass bracing internally on the bottom rim, edges and a modified euro-bracing for the top of the aquarium. Everything filters down to a large MRC Sump holding an additional 125 gallons of water.

Last edited:
Here are some photographs of the stand. Apologies that they are a bit color washed. The black bottom was provided with the stand. But I wanted to reinforce the bottom of it as I imagine it will have to support my weight as I'm tinkering around with valves and a few other pieces of equipment that I will be keeping underneath the stand. Everything else is located downstairs in the utility room/fish room.

I had some free time to do some maintenance this evening on one of my GHL Dosers. I was calibrating each of the 4 dosing heads to prepare to configure them for Iodine, Potassium, Iron and Trace Element additives and was lucky enough to be around when the GHL Magnetic Stirrers kicked off for their hourly mixing run, so I thought I would share.

It's been very busy with the holidays around here. But I did finally get around to tinkering with my RO/DI Filtration system. Unfortunately I'm one of those engineers that like to model my engineering while actually building it. So it's nothing fancy to look at currently, but it is functional and I will get around to making it look pretty at another time. I had 3 RO/DI systems laying around from previous builds, and well I shouldn't be left unattended for too long. I preset to you the 14 stage RO/DI system comprised of the following (two 5 Micron Premium ROsave.Z Sediment Filter - GE Water Technologies, two 1 Micron Premium ROsave.Z Sediment Filter - GE Water Technologies, two 5 Micron BRS Chlorine & VOC Carbon Block Filters, two 1 Micron BRS Universal Carbon Block Filters, two 150 GPD Reverse Osmosis Membranes in a water saver configuration and 4 DI Resin Chambers. Water Pressure from the unit is 50 PSI without the booster pump and 75 psi with the booster pump running.

One of the things I love about this aquarium is the custom overflow designed with Glass Cages. I knew for certain that I didn't want an overflow that took up space within the display and I had initially been eyeing a coast to coast design. But after speaking with Joe he wanted to try a new design, so I gave him full creative freedom and I couldn't be happier It spans almost the full length of the aquarium but stops short on either side by 1 foot and accommodates six 2 inch drains. This system is currently using two Ecotech Marine Vectra L2's Plumbed to separate 1.5 inch returns located on the right and left rear pane of the aquarium. Those pumps have to push the water up from the equipment room located beneath the aquarium, straight up about 14 feet to 15 feet. Let's just say these pumps are not a fan of head pressure. The overall flow and turnover is just barely adequate, which leads me to my project today. Because of the lack of powerful turnover I do have some detritus settling into the edges and corners of the overflow. So water better way to solve that problem then to installed an Ecotech Marine MP10WQD to the side of the overflow. I deal with the turnover flow in the next few weeks. But for now this is a great fix in my opinion.

Back