JBJ 12 gallon build

Trading the rock anemone in this week. The flatworms are almost all gone already, and the six line is eating prepared food.

3/18/2015

Been real busy with work, been just maintaining the tank and letting things grow out. I traded in the rock anemone as he was just getting too damn big and aggressive. The six line wrasse has finally got the flatworms problem under control. I had some issues with alk but I have since rectified the problem with frequent small water changes.

Starting construction of my new display. Making sure it is done right!

I need more room in the tank, took a chisel to some rocks to reduce the larger rocks. The girlfriend and I are planning on moving this summer. I have to put my 40 gallon plan on hold. The 12 gallon is going to be hard enough to move.

My rainbow Aussie acan just started another head! I am planning on adding another acan, and some sps frags this week.

4/11

Anyone use Red seal coral pro salt? I tried it out because a few people told me to try it. I was experiencing very high CA and Mag levels. So I finally switched back to instant ocean reef salt. It's what I have always used. I need to find a good two part solution for the nano. Does anyone have good experience with a nano two part solution or just a regular 2 part solution.

4/14/15

So I am noticing alk is dropping 0.5 dkh a day. But calcium only drops maybe 10 ppm per 2/3 days. Mag is still high at 1600

My targets are
Alk 9
Calcium 420-440 ppm
Mag 1300-1400

I began dosing Kent nano AB for alk and calcium. My question should I only dose part B (alk) to maintain the alk because calcium usage is not major at the moment. I plan to add some more frags this weekend.

4/11

Anyone use Red seal coral pro salt? I tried it out because a few people told me to try it. I was experiencing very high CA and Mag levels. So I finally switched back to instant ocean reef salt. It's what I have always used. I need to find a good two part solution for the nano. Does anyone have good experience with a nano two part solution or just a regular 2 part solution.

If red sea had decent cal and mag levels why switch to a lower grade salt only to have to dose???

I use red sea now because its levels are a bit higher and more stable in each batch then reef crystals. My SPS thanks me...

Jim- it is a jbj 12 gallon it took about 9-10 gallons to fill up with Lr and sand.

Soul patch- I'd have to dose either way in between water changes. I might have a bad batch of Red Sea coral pro because my parameters are all very high and honestly my corals have reacted better to the instant ocean.

but if they start high initially then the corals would soak it up negating the need to dose for that. You might have to dose alk if your numbers were not high there but overall it should relieve you of dosing mag and calc

Would a calcium of 540 and mg off the charts be deteremental to long time health? I would rather start at where I want it and dose to upkeep the usage, then start fairly high. I am going to use the reef crystal for a little to see how it goes. I'll decide when my 40 is setup which I would go with. If I start heading down the path of more sps the coral pro would be the best salt.

When you say off the charts, Is that low or high, What's your DKH at. Everyone loves a high Calcium Level but If your Calc, Alk and Mag aren't tied in correctly then yes the long term effect of the tank suffers. I would strive for Calc 420-450, Mag 1280-1320, DKH 7-8, If not then I'd do some water changes at 40% until I got it there. Reef Crystals is a good salt in my humble opinion.

For awhile I was using Red Sea coral pro salt I was getting Ca readings of 540/DKH of 9.5/MG of 1560. That is what I was getting from my Red Sea test kits. After doing some water changes I was able to keep my alk at 8.5-9/Ca I was able to get down to 440/Mg 1440. I am pretty happy with that. I just did a 2 gallon water change of Red Sea coral pro salt yesterday and tested today. I dont think it was the salt at all anymore. I believe it was my ignorance in dosing two part for a little without a test kit.

My goal is to get my parameters where they need to be as in now. Then keep them as stable as possible. I am contimplating on dosing kalk but more research is going to have to be done. I plan to add a tunze osmolator and a few frags this weekend.

Nice picture, and glad you figured out your high levels. Dosing without testing is a no-no until you have it down to a science. I set up automatic dosing pumps, but I'm still dialing them in 3 weeks later, so I'm still testing once or twice a week. Also Red Sea Coral Pro is known for having particularly high alkalinity and calcium in their salt, so it's worth keeping in mind.

RE: your moving and setting up a 40g tank. I would recommend that if you were considering a new tank, you take the opportunity (excuse) of breaking everything down to move anyway to upgrade tank size at the same time.

Back