JBJ replacement fans won't work, why?

JmartWI

I've been trying to replace my JBJ 12g nano fans, but I've been having some difficulty.
I bought these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426032 although they haven't been working. It's a 3-pin, although I ordered the proper 3 to 2 pin adapter for it. The old fans work, but these new ones don't. I don't understand why... The only difference I can see is the old fans are .12A, and my new ones are .15A. Is that difference significant enough? If so, why?
Any help is appreciated! I'm lost!

New fans
20130801_132850_zps0ad11435.jpg

New fans connected
20130801_132831_zps91de4bd2.jpg

Old fans
20130801_132930_zpsadc56c0d.jpg

Last edited:
What is the power supply rated for? It has to be at least .3A or 300mA, if it's something like .4A or 400mA it should be fine, the power supply has to be rated higher than the additive total of the current draw of the devices connected to it. That said they would probably run, if a little slow, if the supply is rated less than 300ma. In that case, with some time, they may cause the power supply to overheat possibly causing a fire.

Have you checked the output of the power supply? Maybe the power supply is bad. What about polarity? Does the + output of the supply match the + input of the fan? Maybe you adapter has it turned around. Have you tried to power the fans separately?

Thank you for some pointers. I looked at the power supply, and it's rated at 350mA. As for polarity, I think you may be on to something. I think red wires are + black are -, right? In the picture, the old fan wire connection is on the left, while the new fan connection on the right. Although, I'm not sure how to safely remove these pins and re-set them in their proper slots without any specialized tools.

Polarity?
a40db48d-5fa4-4f2d-933c-1a478c888368_zpsfb529885.jpg

Power supply
20130801_140039_zps51210e17.jpg

Looks like polarity to me. Red is normally +. Removing the pins intact will be difficult to impossible. I would cut and splice the wires (solder and shrink tube would be the right way, I think you can find wire nuts that will work though. Do you have some wire to make some jumpers to test the idea first?

BTW, the power supply is 500mA, your LEDs run at 350mA. The power supply will be fine with those fans.

Alright, luckily I didn't have to solder. I rummaged through my old PC parts box and tried to see if I could get the pins out of spare connectors with some small tools. It was quite difficult, and my thumbs hurt, but it could be done! My fans work now, thanks a lot for your advice, I was stumped!

Back