JBJ28 HQI Nano-tuners mod - Done

ukguy

So my actinics modification from Nano-tuners arrived on Sat.

Everything was excellently packed.

I downloaded the detailed PDF, and watched the (3) youtube installation guides.

Then I went out and bought a soldering iron, rivet gun, and heat shrink wrap, (recommended but not required).

So what takes the guy approx 30mins on the video, took me 2 hours, which is understandable, I wasn't rushing or as prepared as the guy on the video.

Overall I found it very easy to make the mods, and everything you needed was in the pack, my soldering, and rivets, were belt and braces rather than required.

So its only be running for a 2 days, the Zoos colours are slightly more bright, so are the millis and acros. I've not noticed a dramatic increase in the water temp (I'm not running a chiller), but I'll keep an eye on it, it used to peak around 79.8F before.

well, for me the chiller is a slippery slope. IF I get a chiller, then I could get a sump, and then a Calcium reactor, and sump based skimmer etc etc... the costs will go (more) astronomically!

so I might just turn off the actinics if it does peak over 81F

I opted for the $20 JEBO fan (AZOO clone) and I haven't had a problem since. Granted, I am using a ReefKeeper2 to control it, but it works like a champ. I have doubled the evaporation rate, but an ATO takes care of that.

so I take what you're saying about digital temp units, but its what I've always been using, and its consistant.

The corals are friving so I'm not too worried, I'll buy a mercury therm at the weekend to cross check it.

yeah just because its consistant doesnt mean its right. if something is going to give you the wrong answer consistantly then i wouldnt rely on it. i always just go with the merury ones

the reason i doubt its right is because youre running a JBJ nano with metal halide and the hood is on the tank, so its going to keep all that heat in. not to mention you just added more lights to it. when i had a 28g open top it was hitting 85 all day and night because of the light

well my aircon is set to 72, and I have some addon mini fans blowing on the open filter box part, and get lots of evap, like I said nothing looks like its overheating in the tank.

This is OHIO, not the south, so my house is pretty cool year round.

but I'll check it anyway.

I could add fans to the back like ukguy, but my evap would skyrocket, and then I would need an ATO unit, but if I dont I need to bring the temps down with a chiller.

So either way, $$$, and I would feel better with a chiller as it monitors temps better than a pair of fans :)

I just pour a little RO water each night into the back of the filter section

Ok so the purists are going to say that means my salinity varies, yeah, it does, but 1/2 a pint of RO water every day or so, isn't going to kill anything.

bought a glass therm today, looks like my digi therm is out by 1 degree or so. Digi was reporting 79.8, glass therm looked more like 81/82.

No biggie, everything looks fine at that temp, which ever is correct. With external temps of 90F, I don't think its going to peak much more. So no need for chiller atm.

Back