JCole's big ol box of Acro's

I guess I can show some "pretty" pictures at least. ;)

I removed the front milka stylos because they where looking bad. I removed some other pieces as well. You can see how bare it looks now along with the brown corals.

20240317_132520.jpg
20240317_132536.jpg
20240317_132553.jpg
20240317_134254.jpg
20240317_161132.jpg
20240318_191651.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, I tried making rock many years ago with portland cement and oyster shells. I ended up using them to border one of our gardens because I didn't like the look of them. To be honest, I really don't have an artistic/creative bone in my body :ROFLMAO:

Nice! Which process did you use?

2 parts Portland cement
1 part special grade seaflor sand
1 part Florida crushed coral
2 parts rock salt - 1 part small/1 part large

I think it will turn out really well but I might have to scrap these pieces. I wasn't thinking and used play sand for the molds and now a little concerned with silica, etc.

Cool, I tried making rock many years ago with portland cement and oyster shells. I ended up using them to border one of our gardens because I didn't like the look of them. To be honest, I really don't have an artistic/creative bone in my body :ROFLMAO:

LOL! I don't know if my wife will allow that, as they look like elephant droppings! :LOL: This is more than likely a trial run, as I used play sand for the molds and I am second guessing that now. I am resetting the system and going a different route with the aquascape. It will take a little while to create the scape and cure but I think once things fill in, it will look pretty good.

LOL! I don't know if my wife will allow that, as they look like elephant droppings! :LOL: This is more than likely a trial run, as I used play sand for the molds and I am second guessing that now. I am resetting the system and going a different route with the aquascape. It will take a little while to create the scape and cure but I think once things fill in, it will look pretty good.
I used Aragamax for my molds.

I used Aragamax for my molds.

Perfect! Thanks for the tip! I just purchased 4 bags. I think it would be better to mix that with the cement anyway, with it being smaller sand. Plus I don't have to use all of the Seaflor sand I planned on using in the tank.

Trial rocks didn't turn out that great. They look like large piles of crap and they seem pretty weak. A drop test from a couple of inches will break the shelf rocks right in half. I think its because of the large chunks of rock salt.

I used the following
2 parts grey portland cement
1 part special floor aragonite sand
1 part crushed coral
1 part corse rock salt
1 part chunky rock salt

I dont know if it's because of the large rock salt that is creating weak spots in the cement or just it needs to cure for much longer. Or........maybe I shouldn't drop test them? :)

I just picked up some pricey bags of white portland limestone cement, some new sand, carribian crushed coral, and perlite to make some new rocks. I want to get it right before I waste a good bit of money.

Anyone have any tips? Should I leave the salt out of the mixture?

Busy weekend.

Made some new rocks with a different mix inclusing perlite and white Portland cement. I think these will turn out much better. Thanks for the tip on the sand @griss!

20240414_185300.jpg

20240414_185318.jpg

Base rock from tank was bleached and then acid washed today. The acid wash really opens up the pores and removes buildup.

Before acid wash
20240414_093310.jpg

After acid wash
20240414_185039.jpg

Drained the DT, removed the fish, and cleaned out the sludge buildup from the bottom. I am going to clean the coralline off with HCL tomorrow then work on sanding the tank this weekend.

20240414_172054.jpg

20240414_172042.jpg

Needless to say, I am sore!

Busy weekend.

Made some new rocks with a different mix inclusing perlite and white Portland cement. I think these will turn out much better. Thanks for the tip on the sand @griss!

View attachment 32400030
View attachment 32400031

Base rock from tank was bleached and then acid washed today. The acid wash really opens up the pores and removes buildup.

Before acid wash
View attachment 32400033

After acid wash
View attachment 32400032

Drained the DT, removed the fish, and cleaned out the sludge buildup from the bottom. I am going to clean the coralline off with HCL tomorrow then work on sanding the tank this weekend.

View attachment 32400034
View attachment 32400035

Needless to say, I am sore!
Those look fantastic, so much better than my attempt.

Back