Jebao WP25 killing my small fish

Lazhar

Whats up guys, I dont see any information on this. Am I the only one loosing fish with these pumps.
My setup is 110 tall tank, I have two, one on each side of the tank they are already all the way low. But every new fish, ends up chew up by the pumps. I though that healthy fish would be strong enough to avoid them but was wrong, when they start they suck in the fish close to them. Two percula clowns. A royal gramma, a high hat, two bangai cardinals and many more.

I see I could use a different power adapter to slow them down further. But will that help?

Maybe try running them constant instead of on a wavemaker for a couple days after adding new fish. That way maybe the fish would learn to avoid them before its too late... Not sure if fish are that smart, but I'd say its worth a shot.

are you QT'ing the new fish? I mean, how do you know they are healthy? I'm just asking because while I'm not doubting what you say, I've never really heard about a truly healthy fish getting pulled into any power head, and while the jabao's are strong, people have been running oversized powerful pumps for a long time..

I'm running the wp60s with a lot of the same fish you mention and haven.t had any issues. I often see them picking algae off the pumps. A healthy fish shouldn't have an issue.

The speed control knobs work backwards you know that right? I have 40's and 25's and have never had an issue with fish being pulled in.

No, i didn't qt any of them and that may be part of the problem but they were eating well for days. Maybe they need more time. I have a qt tank but so happens that i had another fish there already. But the high hat was two years old and pretty big, ended up with stripes with the pump marks.

The speed control knobs work backwards you know that right? I have 40's and 25's and have never had an issue with fish being pulled in.

Thank you I know, I also have other fish that are fine they already know about the pumps I guess. Maybe other people are not paying attention. Some fish die and they just blame something else. I see my fish with missing fins and they weren't sick hours before. They were strong and swimming all the tank.

Well that's crazy as I've never lost a fish or seen any chewed up. You could find those power head covers that are a sponge material and go around them and use that to keep your fish out. I don't know what they are called but I've seen them for the vortech. Might help.

In my 120G I run two WP40s in W1 mode at 75% with many recently added small fish, and they pick algae off the housing. IMHO something else is weakening your fish and then the pump is just collecting them.

Two percula clowns. A royal gramma, a high hat, two bangai cardinals and many more.

Maybe glue some quarter inch screen to the outlets of the pumps. BRS sells it for screen tops. Like the grill guards Tunze sells for their stream pumps. Maybe try to fix the problem.... Instead of just throwing more fish in to see if it happens again.

Maybe glue some quarter inch screen to the outlets of the pumps. BRS sells it for screen tops. Like the grill guards Tunze sells for their stream pumps. Maybe try to fix the problem.... Instead of just throwing more fish in to see if it happens again.

For sure, I don't want to kill more fish. I had fish last me 10 years so its not fun to see them go thru that. Thanks for the idea. I might just take them out and look for an alternative. I just find weird that no one complains about that. Guess I am the unlucky one.

As others have said, I don't think your pump is the problem. I don't know what it is, but you must have something wrong with your fish that so many are getting sucked into the pump. They aren't strong enough pumps to pull your fish into them in a 110.

I may just give up already and just keep the fish I already have. I have 4 tanks and been on the hobby for many years. But the older I get the more I realize I don't know anything.

I have recently had a new fish get stuck onto the side of my vortech pump, so it definitely can happen. In my case, the fish was run through an extensive 12 week QT so I am as sure as one can ever be that it is healthy. I think it can take fish a bit of time to learn to avoid the pumps.

I have recently had a new fish get stuck onto the side of my vortech pump, so it definitely can happen. In my case, the fish was run through an extensive 12 week QT so I am as sure as one can ever be that it is healthy. I think it can take fish a bit of time to learn to avoid the pumps.

Thank you. Most people don't realize how strong these pumps are or how smart fish are. I bet it happens a lot more than we think but we blame other factors.

Last edited:
A healthy fish will not get sucked in. My clown sleeps right next to my WP25 and has never been sucked in to the pump.

It would be very unusual for a healthy fish to get sucked in to one of those. I have a 1" long Chromis that plays around both of my Tunze 6100's and has never got sucked in. Considering how small the Chromis is, I was concerned the flow in the tank would be too much for him but it isn't, he intentionally swims in front of the Tunze's and rides the flow to the other side of the tank. The 6100 is considerably stronger than the WP25.

Yeah the only fish you should be losing is a blenny. Some of the blennys are stupid enough to try and sleep in the powerheads. I had a canary blenny that rolled the dice every night and finally paid the price LOL

I have a 120H tank with a WP40 at either end controlled by my Apex. I have everything from Damsels to Tangs and never had an issue. I have a PJ cardinal that liked hanging out a few inches from the pump on the right side of my tank. I have a wrasse that dose laps around the pumps randomly for hours and never had an issue. I run them on wave mode from about 40% - 100% through the day and 30-50 in the evening.

Back