Jelly fish? Please ID..

kasper4lyf

Last night I noticed that one of my pepermint shrimp had babies. When I looked below in the refugium to see if any had made it down there alive I was surprised to see hundreds of VERY thin tentacles waving through the water. After a closer inspection I noticed they were grabbing the small shrimp and pulling them towards small masses attached to the Calerpa. There is also some smnall ones attached to my skimmer pump.

Travis L. Stevens

They're a type of Comb Jelly (Ctenophore). More acurately they are a Coeloplana. Occassionally, they are called Purse Jellies. They are a harmless filter feeder. Unfortunately, they will most likely die away in your aquarium. Which sucks because they are some of the coolest hitch hikers around. I could watch them for hours. I miss mine :(

Here is a better picture of them
h097_jpg.jpg

kasper4lyf

Thank you so much for the reply. They came in on some calerpa I got from the LFS's own personal fuge. I went back to see if he had any in his and sure enough, within the final baffel/bubble trap the wall is coated with them. If what you say is true and they are harmless I have to agree, they are very cool to watch. As long as they don't desimate my pod population in the fuge they will be a neat addition. If I were to have to get rid of them, any sugestions?