Just moved to Niceville.

bif24701

I have a 120, a stand I built myself, a sump/skimmer built in. I plan on painting the stand, and getting water in the tank by end of the month. Just picked up some dry rock at "Matt's" need a sand bed however haven't decided on what. In going either with a 2" sugar fine, or a 1" reef grade so it won't move around on me with high flow. Need lights, and after seeing the Kessil 360 at matts in liking them. Maybe sup with a 420-440 mn led stripe for morning evening. My plan is a SPS dominate mixed reef. Very coral heavy light on fish. Would could go no fish but family would line that so have to get a few. Been in Korea the last year and took down the tank for that and my future move to wherever. Most of my equipment was sold, RO/DI, MP40, and metal halides, good stuff. Boy that MP40 was great! Sure should have kept that one, but if I can't afford it, I'll find something. However seems to be a much much smaller market for used equipment here than Phoenix. Any help would be appreciated. Only have one question, if one was willing is it possible to use water from the bay for filling and changes? I would put the water in 7 gallon blue jugs and let them sit for several days in the dark. I think this would kill anything bad in there. Thoughts?

Welcome to the area. I too am in the process of setting up a 180. Mine is cycled now and I have a couple fish in quarantine. Working on my lighting now. Went with the kessil 360. Like you I want primarily a coral tank.

As for getting water out if the bay I would be care full where you get it. Boggy bayou in niceville /valp is usually under high fecal bacteria warnings especially in the summer. If I were to use water from the bay I would drive to the destin pass and get it on an incoming tide or go offshore to collect it. I live on the water in Shalimar and did not want to chance it there either. In my case though I bought an RODI and just mix my own.

Let us know how your setup progresses.

Answers that question. Thanks. That's just way easier anyhow. Though I'll have to buy a new RO/DI. Are you using a controller with the 360's?

I would not get water from the bay. I did a check on the salinity there and it was extremely low. So you would have to get salt either way. I would look at getting water from the gulf if you can find a good spot. That's much better and where I got my initial water to fill the tank to save a few hundred dollars. I'm pretty sure Paul b gets water from the ocean and he is a great aquarist. You need to be careful with pollution tho. As for the kessils Matt's was just having a sale on the 360 and you may want to call them to see if it's still going on. Get on their mailing list as well they have sales and shipments every week. I just bought my kessil 360 and get it tomorrow. Can't wait. I don't use a controller at the moment but will be getting a reefkeeper in the future.

Looks like I'm going to just add the MP40 to the list. Making an order from BRS, that will include Hanna checkers and Reef Saver dry rock. About 75 pounds. Already have about 27 pound I bought from Matts. Will need some live sand to seed it at some point and some LR rubble. Staying with my EETS sump/skimmer combo, as it worked well before. Should I flush the tank with bleach and rid it of and alga spores, I think yes just to be sure. Maybe 3-5%

Answers that question. Thanks. That's just way easier anyhow. Though I'll have to buy a new RO/DI. Are you using a controller with the 360's?

I do have an Apex Controller and plan to use it with the 360s. I am still in the process of getting the canopy finished up so I can mount the lights. That is the next thing on my list to get done.

I think the price and all the positive reviews on the new 360we is too much to by pass. I think I'll use them happily for years. No experience with all the dry rock, wonder how long I'll need to cycle and mature?

I just set up my new A360WE yesterday and I'm in love. The color and shimmer effect on my 60 gallon cube is amazing. You wont regret it.

I am sold on the Kessil. Just got my stand panted, I'll put it together. Get the tank back in the house then wait for my order from BRS.

Welcome. I am in Destin. 90 gal mixed reef 2 Jessie 360's apex, moon lights and just added the auto feeder tonight. To the canopy I just finished 2weeks ago. Also I try to get all my stock and kessils from Matt they will do you right.

Just moved to Niceville.

I saw Matt had them discounted so that is where I plan to get them for sure. I am looking for more than just moon lights however. I may just wait until I have a controller. That will solve my problem.

Just pulled the trigger on two kKessil A360WE from Matt's Coral
Connection. What a deal! Could not find a better deal anywhere on the planet! Still shooting to have water in it by end of month. Still need my RO/DI. Can not wait to see these things.

Just moved to Niceville.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums...4-02/C3AA2358-851E-4039-BAE1-ED1243BE3467.jpg
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums...4-02/D0C7F670-EE58-4A49-8136-00F7EE2E828D.jpg
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums...4-02/F7B600EE-3667-4E9D-A35A-231C47B0B174.jpg

DIY stand of 2x6 top frame and 90 degree 2x4 at each corner. 3/4 birch plywood wrapped will not flex, level, and not fancy but gets the job done! I did 2x6 on top so that I could have a big opening below the tank to easy get equipment in and out. I used exterior 2 1/2 and 3" high strength and corrosion resistant deck screws.

100 pounds of sand bought at Destin petsmart. May need more but I won't know until I get my reef scape done and then place the sand around it.

I chose these because my last tank was 100% sugar fine and my MP40 moved it around too much. Didn't blow around the tank but would build drifts and valleys I didn't like.
30 pound sugar fine
30 pounds agaramax select
40 pounds Ocean direct live sand.
Theses have a larger particle size and should resist movement more than sugar fine alone. Also hoping I can mount my power heads closer to the substrate than before.
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa456/Aaron_Wasson/65C2720D-EE70-41FD-A305-025AB68136C7.jpg

Back