Just wondering what this plant thing is...

GasmaskCowgirl

picture.php

Hiya, I was just curious- my boyfriend and I are new to this hobby and one of our live rocks has something growing on it and we have no idea what it is! I feel kinda stupid asking, but any idea on what this little plant-thing could possibly be? If you need a better picture, let me know and I'll try and take a better picture. :) Thanks!

Looks like an aiptasia to me. Get rid of it quick! Don't scrape or pluck it. Do a search on here for removal guides. A great product is AiptasiaX, follow the directions on the box and you'll be set. You'll get a few of these guys periodically, just get rid of them ASAP.

Looks like an aiptasia to me. Get rid of it quick! Don't scrape or pluck it. Do a search on here for removal guides. A great product is AiptasiaX, follow the directions on the box and you'll be set. You'll get a few of these guys periodically, just get rid of them ASAP.

Yikes! Why is it so bad?? :( What does it do?

aiptasia are pests not only because they can spread rapidly.. but they also have stingers.. just like anemones.. not only that.. but if they get big enough.. they can eat your livestock (smaller fish, shrimp etc) haven't personally seen it happen, but have read it... they also have white tentacles that they can spit out when threatened and these also have stinging cells and can hurt not only your fish.. but you!!!!!!!! I would know as I have been "attacked" by one and ended up being rushed to the hospital because I had an allergic reaction :( I was in soooo much pain.. I felt like I was stung by a jellyfish or something!!!! GRrrrrrrr!!!!!
so they best thing to do is to remove now before you have many ;)
I personally like to use a hypo needle and lemon juice and slowly inject them in their mouth before they close up... you may need to do more than one injection.. but it should take care of it...
another option is juvenile peppermint shrimp.. but they are hit & miss and may cause more drama for you later on down the road... all up to you!!!

Good Luck!!!!! and :bounce3: WELCOME TO RC & THE ADDICTION!!! :bounce3:

sorry it wasn't a plant!!! :lol2:

aiptasia are pests not only because they can spread rapidly.. but they also have stingers.. just like anemones.. not only that.. but if they get big enough.. they can eat your livestock (smaller fish, shrimp etc) haven't personally seen it happen, but have read it... they also have white tentacles that they can spit out when threatened and these also have stinging cells and can hurt not only your fish.. but you!!!!!!!! I would know as I have been "attacked" by one and ended up being rushed to the hospital because I had an allergic reaction :( I was in soooo much pain.. I felt like I was stung by a jellyfish or something!!!! GRrrrrrrr!!!!!
so they best thing to do is to remove now before you have many ;)
I personally like to use a hypo needle and lemon juice and slowly inject them in their mouth before they close up... you may need to do more than one injection.. but it should take care of it...
another option is juvenile peppermint shrimp.. but they are hit & miss and may cause more drama for you later on down the road... all up to you!!!

Good Luck!!!!! and :bounce3: WELCOME TO RC & THE ADDICTION!!! :bounce3:

sorry it wasn't a plant!!! :lol2:

a syringe with boiling water will kill it without adding any chemicals to your tank. just put the syringe on the pest and squirt about 10ml's of the hotest water you can use. I have a 100% success rate with that method.

Back