just wondering

Devildoc

just wondering what the benefit is by using a supplement such as BRS for dosing cal/mag/alk vs using calcium chloride (Dow flake)/ baking soda for alk and mag sulfate for mag..which these would be the Randy's recipe?

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

BRS is easier for some people to obtain. I'd use whatever was least expensive. I stocked up on Dow Flake a while ago and used baking soda for alkalinity. I did spring for some Dead Sea MagFlake, too.

OK I found Randy's recipe a couple days ago and it was something new to me and been looking so far haven't found or heard of any ill effects so couldnt figure out why no one really puts the knowledge of these household goods out for people.. or what diff. between a vendor and dyi thank you for clearing it up

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

It's the same stuff. Except, BRS also offers magnesium chloride, which is probably better for long term use. This is because sulfate ions can build up and quickly shoot to levels many times higher than natural sea water. And BRS also offers sodium carbonate, which is better if your tank's ph tends to run low. Baking soda, on the other hand, is sodium bicarbonate, which is best if your tanks ph tends to naturally run high.

I've been using the DIY recipe for a year and a half with great results. And it's cheap! That's right. My alk supplement brand is Arm & Hammer. Haha

Back