kalk as well as 2 part?

Duncanr9t

I have a Reefer 170 (43G) which over the last 4 weeks have average around 0.6dkh alk drop per day.
(sorry, very long winded, the question is at the bottom)

20% wc every 7-10 days
salinity 1.26
temp=26C

Mag is around 1350, after a 20% wc, its at 1400...
cal=450
alk=9.6

Red Sea Coral Pro salt.

I mostly keep LPS and softies with only 3 SPS frags (bird nest, 2 acro) and 2 monti caps.
SPS don't grow at all except for my montipora, they dont bleach, dont die but also dont grow.

I currently have to dose around 36ml every 3 days to keep alk around 9.6
Cal I sometimes check but I base it on 5 calcium per 0.7 Alk, so I dose 40ml every 3 days too.

Once doser arrives, I'll set it up to dose daily to maintain more stable parameters.

I am seriously thinking about upgrading to Reefer 350 just for the fish and more variety of corals and possible get Gigantea anemone but my reservations are at the amount of 2 part I would need.

I don't have easy access to BRS 2 part or the other bulk-supplied 2 part mixes.

Question:

I am thinking about using Kalk on top of 2 part only at night.
Does anyone do that?, have their doser does kalk mix into tank at night only?

work out how much RODI is used during night periods from their ATO then set doser to does that amount throughout the night thereby overriding the ATO.

thanks

I migrated into using two part from fully saturated kalk in my top off. Ultimately, I was dosing all three 24/7 @ 20 min intervals. I calculated the amount of daily evaporation(in my case ~ 2 1/2 gal), and started to dose the kalk at a level that was below that @ 2 gal./day, re-purposing the ATO back to plain RO/DI water to make up the difference.

I migrated into using two part from fully saturated kalk in my top off. Ultimately, I was dosing all three 24/7 @ 20 min intervals. I calculated the amount of daily evaporation(in my case ~ 2 1/2 gal), and started to dose the kalk at a level that was below that @ 2 gal./day, re-purposing the ATO back to plain RO/DI water to make up the difference.
Sorry I'm learning as I go what's the Kalk? My second question is are you burning two and a half gallons a week a month how does that work just Outta curiosity

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Sorry I'm learning as I go what's the Kalk? My second question is are you burning two and a half gallons a week a month how does that work just Outta curiosity

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Kalk = kalkwasser, German for Limewater. Here's a good article:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

My evaporation was averaging 2 1/2 gal. per day(daily). So, instead of using plain RO/DI in my top off container, I was adding 2 tsp of kalk(full saturation) to the RO/DI water, to help keep up with the uptake of Ca and alk (corals, coraline algae, etc.) in my system(180 gal.) between WC's.

Some people probably dose Kalk only at night. I used Kalk for all my ATO in my soft coral tanks, and still needed 2-part to keep up with coralline algae growth.

Back