Kalk, magnesium sulfate, and magnesium chloride...?????

TravelinLight

Ok someone please explain to me the difference and use of these products. I dose a two part calcium and alk by seachem. My levels are perfect and I am now looking into Kalk and maintaining these levels. I inherited a kalk reactor recently and have it set up to run off my ATO. I have a gallon of BRS Kalkwasser, a five gallon bucket high purity Magnesium Chloride, and a gallon of Magnesium Sulfate. I have found a lot of info on the two but still am confused on how much and which one to use. What is the difference in the two and is one better than the other?

Kalk might work for maintaining the calcium and alkalinity levels in your system, but it is a very dilute solution.

The magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate are good magnesium supplements. If you use a mix of 10:1 magnesium chloride to magnesium sulfate, you'll get a slightly better balance between the chloride and sulfate ratios in saltwater:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php

If you are dosing magnesium you will likely not have to dose it very often, mainly just to offset very gradual decreases over time.

The main difference between magnesium sulfate and magnesium chloride are their respective weights. What this translates into is that magnesium sulfate will have a lower relative amount of magnesium compared to magnesium chloride (especially if it is anhydrous). This means you will have to use more magnesium sulfate than magnesium chloride to get the same effect.

Just get a Magnesium test kit, find where you are at and gradually bring it up as needed. if you have a light demand for calcium and alkalinity such that kalkwasser meets your needs I doubt you will have to worry too much about your magnesium levels.

So should he just mix a 10:1 ratio and pour it in his ATO? If so is there any point in using the kalk and kalk reactor? I've also read that if he is using a 2 part system to maintain calcium and alkalinity he should use a 5:3 ratio? Is this correct?

So should he just mix a 10:1 ratio and pour it in his ATO? If so is there any point in using the kalk and kalk reactor? I've also read that if he is using a 2 part system to maintain calcium and alkalinity he should use a 5:3 ratio? Is this correct?

Yes, when using 2-part you're dosing a lot of chloride with your calcium part so you use more of the mag sulfate and less of the mag chloride.

Back