Kalk Reator Question (How Much Kalk?)

RevHtree

Hello I have gotten a kalk reactor off a trade and I need some quick info on it. It is about 22"- 25" tall. I was wondering how much kalk to place in the cylindar?

Also let me see if I got this correct.

I set the mixing PH that is connected to the reactor on a timer to mix 2 hrs and off about 4. During the last 2 hrs that the mixing pump is off, have the dosing pump set to come on and top off?

This is not gravity fed, but a dosing pump is used.

When will I know to add kalk to the reactor?

Thanks.

I add about 8oz and I have it mix for 3-4 min 4 times a day. Also make sure you put in on a drip or controller so that your pH doesn't rise too high.

I have mine on an AquaController that is set to turn on a dosing pump when pH drops below 8.15 and off at above 8.29. Also if it is not pressure rated, don't hook it to your RO or a small powerhead while on the controller.

I dont have a controller so I'll be using timers. Thanks for the info.

Anybody else got a setup without the controller?

Thanks. :)

I may set it to mix a few hours during the day and then top off when the lights are out. Does this sound good?

Rev-

Be very careful! I just received a kalk reactor from a friend and its on a dosing pump as well. This is set by a floatswitch. At first this was my regime of stirring....
On every 4 hours and strirred 3 mintues!
This caused my PH at night to hang around 8.4 (not bad but at night:))
During the day it climbed to 8.7:eek:

I then changed the reactor accordint to Randy from the chemistry forum to this.
Comes on and stirrs the kalk every 6 hours instead of every 4 and cut it down to 1 minute intervals for the stirring vs the 3 minutes!

This took the PH at night down to 8.0 - 8.1 I can live with this.
During the day it sits at 8.2 - 8.3 Perfect!

I only added about 4 tablespoons of kalk to the cylinder. You will know when its exhausted and more needs to be added when your PH starts to drop. I only then add a tablespoon to the reactor when it calls for it.

So far so good. Good luck. I tried to dose only at night but was getting extreme salinity fluxuations. This way when I dose 24/7 the tank is more stable? Just food for thought!!!

Spankey!!!:)

Great info!

Ok dont burn me here, but I have been pouring my kalk water straight into the top off container and topping off 3 kalk gallons at a time when the lights when out at night. I have been doing this for about 4 months and I have had no problem. I have everything including about 15 variety of sps in the tank.

I dont have a PH probe and havent checked my PH in about 6 months. I have about 100+ corals in the tank, clams, inverts, fish.

I know this may sound awful to many of you, but I am just being honest.

I

3 gallons at a time? Holy cow......you really need to start dripping. Oh, btw, I have poured a quart or so at a time, but never gallons.

WOW You are honest! I think you might want to invest in a PH monitor eventually. A kalk reactor can reak havoc on your tank if you can't closely watch it. I can't imagine testing my PH with test kits when I hooked this thing up. It just makes watching it and dialing it so much easier.

Your tank is quite large so what you were doing wasn't bad. Although if you start to dose 24 hours you will have a much more stable system.

I would seriously invest in a PH probe before you get the reactor going, just my opinion. Post here in the wanted section of the selling forums that you are looking for one. As a matter of fact. I have a spare Pinpoint PH monitor laying around. All you need is the probe? I have the monitoring station itself and any PH probes work on it. I could sell you it for say $20.00 if ya want it. All you would need is a probe? Its up to you! The PH probes are the costly thing but last a year I think, maybe more? If interested you could paypal me the cash and I could ship it to you asap! Let me know....
Good luck.
Spankey!

Stirs for 1 min. 4 times a day using an Aquacontroller. I add 1/2 a bag of Mrs Wages and it lasts me months. 3 years and going strong.

Back