kalking xenia

yankeereefer

I want to get rid of the xenia growing in my tank -

I understand that many use kalk paste to "burn" it - Can someone give me a lesson here?

How do I make kalk paste?
Does the paste eventually dissolve?
I assume I try and remove all that I can before application?
Does this work on GSP?

I liked the xenia and GSP when I had nothing much in my tank, now it's taking over and ticking off everything else around it.

Thanks in advance.
Yankee

Re: kalking xenia

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9849424#post9849424 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yankeereefer
I want to get rid of the xenia growing in my tank -

I understand that many use kalk paste to "burn" it - Can someone give me a lesson here?

How do I make kalk paste?
Does the paste eventually dissolve?
I assume I try and remove all that I can before application?
Does this work on GSP?

I liked the xenia and GSP when I had nothing much in my tank, now it's taking over and ticking off everything else around it.

Thanks in advance.
Yankee

can you give some away instead of killing it:uzi:

Rip as much of the zenia off the rock as you can.

Then take a pot of boiling ro water and feed it into the tank directly on the remaining part of the zenia and rock using an airline tube.

It is hot so be careful. You will be able to see the water coming out of the tube because of the heat and salinity differential. You will burn the coral flesh and kill it.

The drastic heat difference will burn the coral but it dissipates very quickly and leaves the water in the area warm but not hot. That goes away fast. Just don't use enough to raise the tank water or counter with RO water ice.

This works on zenia, star polyps, aptasia, hair algae, etc.

I like it better than calc because it is more effective and won't impact the tank as much.

I've never had a problem pealing it off of the rock. Just take your time and get a corner off and the rest is easy.

Thanks everyone-

I may try the joes juice or the boiling water trick - I think a large barrel syringe might work.

moon - i'll try and get you some pics tonight

ryan

I'm taking rocks and placing them directly on top of the xenia. It will eventually climb on top of the rock. Then I can just pull it out of the tank and provide the Trojan horse to a newbie.

I will take some as well if you would like to give it out. Thankfully my wife and son are big reef fans, are always giving me demands for items in the tank, and most importantly they like 'easy/cheap' things like xenia a lot. :)

While Xenia is nice and cheap, it can quickly get out of control. Against other peoples warnings, I added it to my tank and 4 months later I am cursing it because it requires trimming. Then you get the random pieces that sprout up from other rocks. It also smells very strongly when you are pulling it off. I am now considering making a xenia chamber in my sump and moving it all because it is very good at pulling nutrients.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9853608#post9853608 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BlackHawk77
I am now considering making a xenia chamber in my sump and moving it all because it is very good at pulling nutrients.

That's actually not too bad of an idea - I've been toying with the idea of a sump / fuge - This is that I'm a nano-reefer - My sump is gonna be real small or bigger than the tank itself :p

Back