Kalkwasser and Topoff?

My limewater and my misconceptions are clearing up already.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Mr. Holmes-Farley!
Can I call you Randy?

I did not realize how long my list of questions was until after I read it back.
Thank you for taking the time to set me straight on so many points.

I thought I had read that adding Kalk would add a balanced amount of Ca and alkalinity. I just started adding Kalk to increase my pH. I also dose 2 part. I have noticed that my alkalinity has increased to 12 and Ca is 440. I have diluted my alkalinity to try lower it. So the question is when you dose kalk is it balanced for Ca and alkalinity?

I think the idea is to have your levels where you want them before you start dosing. Then find the right amount to dose to hold your levels where you want them to be. Idon't think you can correct imbalances by dosing lime water. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought I had read that adding Kalk would add a balanced amount of Ca and alkalinity.

It does, in the sense of the balance of the two that corals use. Same as a CaCO3/CO2 reactor and a two part system.

But in none of these systems can you substantially boost calcium because alkalinity gets too high.

The basic reason for that issue is that seawater has way more calcium than alkalinity in terms of how much corals use. If you added all the calcium in seawater using any of these methods, alkalinity in that seawater would be 59 dKH.

Make sense?

Vinegar saturated with lime is different than what most dose. Take straight vinegar and add solid lime. That is dosed (by me) in small amounts. Definitely not to replace all evaporated water as the organic dosed would be huge.
Randy...why do you mix lime with your vinegar if your already adding lime via your top off?

Randy, yes. I think you are saying that dosing kalk/2 part is only to maintain the ratio that is consumed/depleted by the corals once you have the level of Ca and alkalinity where you want them. That trying to raise the Ca with dosing is what makes the alkalinity rise. Thanks for the explanation Randy.

Back