Kalkwasser reactor timing.

M0oN

I'm going to be setting up a kalkwasser reactor pretty soon here - I'm told they really need to only be put on a timer to come on twice a day, but I'm trying to find more information on how I should determine for what length ect.

Anyone have links to good write ups on how to properly determine how long to run em' - or is running them strictly for the sake of keeping the kalkwasser mixed up for your dosing pump?

The reason you use a timer is twofold. The first is an additional layer of safety. If you have a solenoid on a timer controlling feed water to the kalkreactor, you run much less risk of overflow/pH nuke on the tank when a float valve gets fouled by kalk residual and sticks open.

Most people that run an ATO system put the system on a timer so that level adjustments are not being made constantly, just a few times a day. There are several reasons for this. If you are running RO/DI into the kalkreactor, you want to get a longer "runtime" out of the unit if possible (to prevent TDS creep).

There is no hard and fast rule for timing the kalkreactor. I would see what your actual evaporation loss is, see how much can be added in the 2 or 3 times a day you want to add, and ensure that you have 125-150% capacity there. There is not much need to run it any more than that.

If you're talking about a timer on a stirring bar/pump, that's a whole 'nother story. You would want that to come on right AFTER the solenoid shuts back off for the top off of the system so you are not dosing solids, only clear saturated kalk.

Makes sense, I'm going to be running a SpectraPure Ultra Precise A.T.O. with it - but won't have the actual reactor up for a bit, so I guess I've got time to play around with it and figure it out :)

Back