Katherin's Wrasse - Pulled Scales

kiMxD

Hello again folks!

Two days I go I was going to introduce to my DT my new Katherin's Wrasse. When doing so, I messed up and got him entangled on the net and ended up pulling some of his scales next to his lateral fins.

I only realized that the they after when I was inspecting everything in my tank.

Important to mention that the scales are there, they weren't removed from his body, but it kinda looks like when a fish develops the pinecone disease, but it's only on that area in which he got entangled with the fish net.

My question is: should I let him healed on his own or should I pull him out of the tank ant treat him?

If I should treat him, please tell me what medicine I could use (never had a situation like that before).

Also, apparently he is not eating, I can't guarantee that because I have my autofeeder feeding them during the day while I am at work, and at night, when I feed frozen food, he seems not to be eating it.

Can you please help me out with that? I am very confused on what to do, and he was expensive...

Thanks guys!

I'm not sure what you 'could' do even if you should. I think letting it heal on it's own is best in many cases.

I'm not sure what you 'could' do even if you should. I think letting it heal on it's own is best in many cases.

Thank you sir, yeah I am thinking on observing it for a week or two, if it gets worse or doesn't heal, I am pulling him out of the tank and putting in a hospital tank.

Perhaps you guys know what type of medicine I could use?

Thank you again!

I think any kind of physical injury opens up the possibility of a bacterial infection. So I would treat for that - something like Fish Flox. I don't really have any useful suggestions otherwise. Physical injuries either heal on their own or they don't.

I think any kind of physical injury opens up the possibility of a bacterial infection. So I would treat for that - something like Fish Flox. I don't really have any useful suggestions otherwise. Physical injuries either heal on their own or they don't.

Thank you sir.

Do you know if Fish Flox is safe for corals and inverts? Thanks!

Thank you sir.

Do you know if Fish Flox is safe for corals and inverts? Thanks!

Not sure. Never heard of it until now. In a quick search, it appears to be an anti fungal treatment. Why do you think you need it?? Do some of your fish have Lymho (looks like little cotton balls)? If so, feed well and that will go away on it's own after a couple weeks.

No, Fish Flox is non-prescription cipro. But any fish antibiotic would do if you feel it necessary.

Sorry about the loss. :(

JUST MY OPINION.... but we all think we help a fish by tinkering with it. Playing Veterinarian. Bonk. Fail.

Fish are super sensitive. I've witnessed fish die in front of my eyes over what we think they "can handle"....including FW dips gone bad, transfers from DT to QT gone bad.

Imo....unless the situation is DEFCON-1....I leave the fish alone

Last edited:
It probably had an internal infection and netting it ruffled some scales--nothing you could have done.
Just netting a fish shouldn't kill it, i've snagged a few gill spines on angels and ruffed up a few other fish w/out demise.
Some people will say they use only plastic scoops--or hand to transfer fish. It's better, if you can get your fingers around fish.

Back