Keeping cool

laverda

I hope everyone and you tanks are keeping cool.
It was 105 here at 3-4:00.
House is a comfortable 77
300 gallon and Lagoon are good at 79.7
Garage I am guessing is 100 degrees at least.
QT tank in garage is a bit warm at 81.6 I have been swapping frozen bottles of RO/DI out every couple hours to help keep it that cool.

I hope everyone has there backup plan for power outages in place. The power has not been out here but is has been in the neighborhood near by the tast few days, so I am pretty sure we are not far off.

Move the tank into the garage last year .. tank temperature around 82-83 this last couple days.. even at night it stays around 80. =(

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I need to freeze some bottles of rodi water just in case. Had a rolling blackout today but only lasted an hour. No harm no foul. A generator is on my list. Ac always set to 78 so as long as that doesn't go out or the power long term I'm good hehe

Also have some battery powered air pumps on deck. But cooling the water during an inferno is the biggest challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

House was cooling at 76. 560gal tank was running 78 with 2 fans.

last year the tank was struggling at 81-83... i think it hit 84 once.. Installed 2 small fans and instantly reduced average to 76-77 this year.

I'm hurting here in the SFV. I noticed my nems were stressed out over the weekend and saw that the temp hit 90 with a fan blowing across the surface! I immediately turned off the lights and threw a frozen water bottle into the tank. This is the first time evaporative cooling hasn't been able to keep the temps down in the last 15 years.

I'm hurting here in the SFV. I noticed my nems were stressed out over the weekend and saw that the temp hit 90 with a fan blowing across the surface! I immediately turned off the lights and threw a frozen water bottle into the tank. This is the first time evaporative cooling hasn't been able to keep the temps down in the last 15 years.
Lucky nems are tidal creatures

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I hope you guys are right but all three of my RBTAs were completely deflated and one looked like it was puking its guts out. Not sure what 88 degree water temps for over a week is going to do to them. Ughhhh

I got 4 fans over my tank. Also venting dry air into my basement to help evap.

Doesn't help that I have 3x400 mh over the tank. But holding 80-80.5

9a9e66dafdc5eacf06dbf4896c2436c4.jpg

I have been out of power since 4:30 Tuesday afternoon in north Hollywood. 9 hrs of no power. I’m lucky to have invested in a generator Which is powering the tank and fridge/ garage freezer and a couple of room outlets. By far the best investment in thus hobby

Trying to do my part and keeping the house at 78 only. Didn't matter as we had our rolling black out on Friday for an hour. I have back up ecotech battery and also some battery operated air stones on standby, so an hour was no big deal.

I used to have a big ugly generator from HD, never used it, took up too much space and sold it. A quiet Honda generator is next on my list.

We're looking at solar right now, and the Tesla Powerall is tempting, but man they're just too much money for what they are, IMO. Having solar doesn't protect you from power outtages as I understand it, but the Powerall would run most of the house for a day or two I believe. Still, even with rebates it's too much money.

Tank is about 81 degrees, drops to 79. I may keep lights off for a full day to bring it down more. Frozen bottles in top off water is probably next to help out a bit.

When I had halides my tank ran between 82-83 , and never had any issues. Was just scary to know I was at the higher end without much wiggle room.

It has been hot out in Riverside. My Home AC unit has taken a dive and things not working good since last Thursday. good news is the Tradewind chiller is doing its job and going on and off. The tank is running a little warmer but not getting out of hand. should have things fixed today as they were out yesterday looking at things and needed parts. its been a rough few days and looking forward to getting a good night sleep soon.

I got 4 fans over my tank. Also venting dry air into my basement to help evap.

Doesn't help that I have 3x400 mh over the tank. But holding 80-80.5

9a9e66dafdc5eacf06dbf4896c2436c4.jpg

What kind of fans are those ?? I bought the clip on fans from bulk reef supply and had them over my sump . It said the natal parts were coated so it won't rust . In about 3 weeks my sps started dying I checked everything I could and the only thing I found that I can really point the finger at is , the fan screen rusting and dripping into the tank :/

I don't use BRS fans, but took the screen off the larger fan I am using. I think I am smart enough to keep my fingers out of it. :) I can get a better position on it that way as well.

Two fans on the DT connected to a temperature controller with an additional power head aimed at the surface for water evaporation. Haven been using bags of ice in the ATO to replenish evaporated water with cooler water.

Tank has hit 82 and have seen similar to KW my nems have not been looking great in the last week or so.

When you freeze bottles. Do you leave the cap off so the rodi water goes into tank? Or cap on and the water never goes into tank

Back