Kent Marine Pro clear ok w/rock?

haywood2

Is the Kent MArine Pro clear(acu clear) or whatever it is called safe for live rock? I haven't used it since i first added sand to my tank 6 months ago, long before the rock was in there.

If it says "reef safe" on the bottle, you MOST LIKELY should be OK. Maybe someone else with more experience can chime in, but I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to use it.

If there's a problem with water clarity, I'm sure people will suggest using Purigen or running carbon and even running a skimmer. From what I've read, you kind of want to stay away from any "cures in a bottle". But, again, this is just my limited experience opinion. I just wanted to chime in since it didn't seem like anyone was answering.

I hope it helps somewhat.

The Kent product precipitates out suspended particles in water, causing them to fall to the bottom of the tank. I personally think it is better to provide good water movement, carbon filtration and skimming to clean the water. I've never had a persistent problem with cloudy water in any of my tanks treated this way.

I can't tell you if it would bind to any other the organic material on the surface of live rock.

hmmm... my water is never cloudy... I just rearranged the rockwork ( which still looks bleh, I suck at aquascaping), and I figured I would get all the much from behind the rocks out. Then use the Kent to settle everything down, and then just siphon it up during the water change. I'll hold off for now until I hear some more support. Thanks for the help.

Dave

Hey Dave,

If it's just and particles, etc from the rock work be rearranged, I would think that should clear itself up within few hours with good movement and skimming.

If it gets too bad, just siphon out and do the water change sooner. Would that work?

Back